Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some general questions on what to expect moving back to the Southeast. i'm originally from SC, moved to Idaho a decade ago. I did not raft growing up, so, I'm not familiar with the options in the vicinity.

In Idaho, we started rafting, running an oar setup - 14' SB - mostly the day stretches on the payettes and doing a handful of multiday trips.

Rafting has become a big part of our lives. But, we're moving back to be closer to family. It's just the right time.

So, I have a 12' Wave Destroyer. Hoping to land in Western NC. Am I going to enjoy running my little cat boat, or, should I just plan on learning to kayak?

snowboards, splitboards are not coming along. looking forward to the mountain biking for sure. I spent a lot of time in WNC during college

·
Registered
161 Posts
I lived in Brevard, and Asheville for about 9 years. The Noli is fun, especially on a shredder. And I am jealous, as you are now way closer to the Gauley. If you go to Asheville, go eat a place called "12 Bones". Best BBQ and ribs I have ever had. Also, you won't be missing out on the western breweries b/c Sierra Nevada, New Belgium have moved there, and also Oskar Blues is now in Brevard as well. Love and miss that area. You will be better of kayaking down the Green if anything. Enjoy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, they are " a ways away", but totally worth doing since you closer there now, than saw Idaho, or CO. I would think that a 12' cat would be great for some of those rivers mentioned earlier. The Noli is great b/c the Appalachian Trail runs right close by to this place (which is awesome)

Uncle Johnnys Hostel

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Honestly if your running your wd 12 on good eastern ww, I would get a narrow row frame and short oars, I use 7fters. I row my pac 1100 all over the mid - Atlantic and love it.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks climber-420. sorta spoiled for close day trips being in boise. just have to adjust my expectations. so, i'm trying to decide if I want to unload everything here, vs. moving with it.

I have not seen any pics of people running oar rigs in whitewater back in the SE. New, Gauley, sure. most oar setups are for fishing stretches, flat water.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you need anything around that area, Diamond Brand Outdoors is the place to go. There is a outdoor consignment shop in west Asheville called "2nd Gear", and they normally have kayaks, and everything else there at heavily discounted prices. Plus, Astral is located in Asheville. Make friends with those guys.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The only reason you don't see more oar rigs on the east is simply because we don't need them. Leave the kitchen sink at home...its just a day trip

The reason small cats are for fishing is because they are made out west where you need a big boat for big rivers.

The shredder (paddle cat) was invented 30 miles from where I currently live. If you proportion your cat more like a shredder, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only reason you don't see more oar rigs on the east is simply because we don't need them. Leave the kitchen sink at home...its just a day trip

The reason small cats are for fishing is because they are made out west where you need a big boat for big rivers.

The shredder (paddle cat) was invented 30 miles from where I currently live. If you proportion your cat more like a shredder, you'll be fine.

An Oar rig allows u to run solo. Or, there is a captain, and the passenger sits on the deck and drinks beer, and provides company. Most western boaters that have oar rigs are weekend warriors. Most only have 1 multiday trip per year, but, the investment is justified because it is an inexpensive vacation once you've made the initial investment.

I like running an oar rig, set up light, because I boat every weekend, and, many times, it is just me on my boat. My partners run their boats solo too. It is fun to be in charge and navigate the rapids yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
462 Posts
thanks climber-420. sorta spoiled for close day trips being in boise. just have to adjust my expectations. so, i'm trying to decide if I want to unload everything here, vs. moving with it.

I have not seen any pics of people running oar rigs in whitewater back in the SE. New, Gauley, sure. most oar setups are for fishing stretches, flat water.

I hear this all the time yet everyone I know that rafts in WV (privately)rows an oar rig, including myself....we run whitewater and fish, often at the same time.

If I were in WNC with a raft I would spend alot of time on the Wataga and SoHo fishing. In addition to the runs already mentioned it might not be TOO far to get to the Chattooga or Chattahoochee in Ga?

WV would be a really good place for you to weekend when you get bored of the same old runs down there, so I wouldn't get rid of the raft. The Density of WW runs in WV is unbeatable for the east (really probably just about anywhere)...especially if you live in the right place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts