Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On short notice, my family and I will be moving to Nashville, TN, probably no later than Jan. Not having spent any time in the area (going to visit next week), I'm not sure if I should sell our two kayaks or take them with. Anyone know what kind of boating there is in the area? I figure if there's ww within 30 - 45 min., I should take them. If not, perhaps swap for a canoe??

Word.

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
I'm not sure you'll get much in 30-45 minutes.

I live right next to Asheville and there's not really any whitewater within 30 minutes of my house. That doesn't mean the paddling ain't good here or that I'm gonna trade my kayaks for canoes.

Nashville is 2 hours from Rock Island, and about 2 hours from tons of creeking on the plateau. I'd take my ww boats if I was you.

Leland

·
Registered
339 Posts
It looks like you will be a couple hours drive from tons of whitewater 12 months a year. You are currently around No whitewater 9 months a year. Not really a good reason to sell your boats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points all around. Thanks fellas. Moving to an unknown area is a little unnerving. Good to know there's some good water not too far away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi fi need more info shoot me a email!
Take your boats! There is great Whitewater all around you. Bring a drysuit for the winter it gets a bit cold up on the plateau when the ice storms blow in but when it melts the creeks swell and your in steep creek country. The closest good whitewater is about 2 hours away either head up to Cookeville / Crossville in the Obed Emory watershed. The Big South Fork of the Cumberland is a good solid class 3-4 run, Also check, Clear creek, Daddys creek and Crab Orchard creek, Shuttles can be long. Find the guide book By Monte Smith 50 classic southeastern runs somethin like that. The Ocoee, Near Chatanooga is where the Olympic whitwater venue in 86 was held there is a upper and lower section, North of Copper Hill, Dont miss Tellico creek with rapids and water falls like; Baby falls a 15 footer, diaper wiper and Jareds Knee. The Ocoee is the river that all others are compared to kinda like, Browns cyn., on the Ark., can be the comparison for all runs in Colorado as a measure of difficulty. South of Nashville is a place called Rock Island State Park Aka Rock Island it is a wave that is produced by generated re-leases from the dam for electicity. Both Generators produces 6k cfs and the wave is Huge as in like Big Sur Huge. that should be enough to get you googlin. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts