Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it's a A6 valve the inside part is not attached, but it won't go far since the boat will be deflated and the floor will hold it in place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I added a link to a photo of the leak. When the valve comes out is there a gasket or something that could be replaced?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,443 Posts
You may have already tried but if its leaking around the valve and not out of it you may be able to give it a 1/8 turn and snug it up. I have never seen one not seal on an NRS if it was seated properly and tight.

If you do have to pull it, pop off your silt trap first and see if the valve itself is leaking, they almost always are. If so, clean that while its apart.

Loosen the valve with the floor inflated and then deflate to take it out. The "nut" won't go anywhere if its deflated.

When you re-seat it make sure it lines up in the marks that are there. Also make sure you don't pinch an i beam. You can snug it up and then inflate before doing the final tighten. If there is an i beam in there it'll pop out when you inflate and then you can tighten.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did loosen it and tried to reseat it, still bubbles. Headed out for a few days on the green next week, will remove it after. In the meantime it's good for a day or 2 which is ok for now.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cork that floor. I hate those valves.
Hear hear!
God I hate a fucking PRV.
Something that manufacturers install to cover there ass from a warranty claim, in case stupid people pull their boat out of the water, and leave it in the sun when it’s a hundred degrees out.
I always plug mine, and take responsibility for my own I-beams.

·
Registered
RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
462 Posts
PRV = PIA< cost of floor!!!!

There are 10 different flavors of Relief top end pressure. NRS only sells one. I cooked a Selway trip with a blown floor...Good thing it was 7'

PRV's are a moving part just like a wheel bearing, pull it apart and maintain it and replace if necessary or not face the consequences.... alot of money or wet feet!!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
You really need to stop holding back and learn to express yourself :)
I did actually hold back a bit, really hate the things.

I fully understand the reason for there existence and the consequences of blowing up your floor... but in 10 years of plugging mine, and always being mindful of my floor, I have never had a problem.

I Guess my hatred of Prvs stems from my floor going flat as I’m dropping into the Graveyard and Sledge at high water, used to happen to many times.
You need that floor to keep your customers in the boat, but instead of doing its job and saving that expensive floor, it’s dumping all your air, no matter how much you clean the thing, or don’t inflate till it goes off, or practice voodoo magic.
Now people your responsible for, are going on a dangerous swim, in cold water,
with very few eddy’s, if you aren’t grabbing them by there foot on the way out of the boat.
All because of a shitty design for a wheel bearing.
Or ya plug it’s ass, and don’t do anything dumb to blow your floor, personal preference.
Sorry guys, I really hate PRVs!!:D peace love and happy boating!

Gonna call my therapist after the holiday, and see if she has a spot open, to talk about it, that and how I feel about open oars....

·
Registered
44 Posts
They come off and go back on pretty easy. Crack the seal with a quarter turn with the floor inflated, deflate the floor for the rest of the unscrewing... and don't lose the internal nut. No big deal if you just move calmly and don't get distracted halfway through and knock the nut into god-knows-where inside the floor. It's easy.

I have struggled with these leaking (out of the valve, not out of the seal with the floor) but never thought it was too big a deal to take it out every once in a while and run it under a sink while working the spring to clear out the grit that makes the valve leak. I can do 10 trips in a row in clean water without maintaining it -- 1 trip in silty water and I have to clean it out. I also carry a cork or a rubber plug designed for it, and if I ever get sick of it leaking I just cram that it and say forget it.

But you're asking about the seal with the floor: I can't imagine any reason why it should leak if you find the correct tightness and if everything is clean before you put it back together. But yeah, like somebody said, make a gasket for it if you'd like. I carry a spare one of these valves in my repair kit for longer trips so if you really had to you could buy a new one and use the old one as a spare... who knows... float on

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI, the leak has been stopped. I pulled the valve and cleaned it, it wasn't the issue. It appears to have been removed a few times in the past, multiple seating rings noted in the fabric, also looks like someone used a thin layer of silicon to stop it from leaking before. Cleaned all that old crap off and re-seated the valve. No leak.

Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts