Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking pins/flips with another rafter and our discussion led to this question...how do you rig a haul system to release from a raft when the raft is released from a pin? If you put no progress capture in the system, if you let go, all the rope will stay with the raft, and now you have a rope in the water and attached to your raft. Not the best idea? If you put progress capture in the system, then it will put a big load on the system and the raft will pendulum off the system when it releases from the pin. Not the best idea? Or you could setup something up at the raft that could be released, potentially under load to separate the haul system from the raft and leave the rope anchored into the system. What would work?
Not sure if I've explained this well, but I'm looking forward to ideas from those more experienced.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Jared
733 Posts
Well, in your system you have a prusik brake set up on your main line attached to your anchor. Once the raft releases, your brake is now holding the raft. There are several situations that this could leave you in, and they all have different answers.
One thing that stuck with me at the class I took was to slow down and assess things well before starting a plan. Most of the time, once you are in raft rescue mode, everyone is safe, and it's important to stay that way. Once you have a raft pinned, and there is possibility of more downstream traffic, get a safety person setup upstream to stop river traffic.
Look at your angles, anchors, and note where your raft might go after it releases. You might have to pull river left, but the occupants could all be stranded river right. Ropes in the water are serious, so we need to minimize that risk. Hope this helps

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but my question is really a specific one regarding how to setup a release from the haul system once a pinned boat is free. If the raft is not released, I understand it will remain on the progress capture. If there is no progress capture, the rope can be released through the system and will trail the raft. Once trailing the raft, I guess it could simply be hauled into the boat, or released while not under load from the raft. However, my question was specific to how people setup the haul system so it can be released from the raft while potentially under load. My first answer would be to cut the short length of webbing that anchors the haul system to the raft, but I thought there might be a more elegant solution. Sorry if I'm not explaining this well...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Use a radium release hitch at the anchor. Its the gold standard in rope rescue scenarios qhen large loads need to be un tensioned. You can keep one pre rigged in your kit if needed, just make sure it is tied correctly. Google and practise it.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
You need to set up your haul system so the release system is built into the anchor. dgosn has it right with suggesting a radium release hitch. There are other ways of doing it too if you don't have all the pieces to built a radium release hitch, but you have to have some sort of repel device along to do it. I like using a rescue 8, but I have a lot of gear in my rap kit to built several different types of haul systems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I like both ideas. If I wanted to avoid any additional hardware would a Munter mule work for this application?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts