Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried gluing a layer of PVC to the bottom part of an IK hull below and around the seat area that is more prone to rub against rocks?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,471 Posts
Yes. I have glued pretty much any shape and size reinforcement patch to any inflatable. If abrasion is the problem it is a good way to go. Urethane, though more expensive, would be an upgrade from another layer of boat material as it slides off of rocks easier and is more abrasion resistant. Pacific elastomers is on your side of the mississippi and makes a product called flex tuff 50/90 that would work well for you should you choose to go that route. The product listed above is good as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about a few layers of the transparent gorilla tape available at any hardware store?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow you know it's a low water year when your talking about beefing up the IK hull, hahah.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Gorilla tape is awesome. I suspect it works so well for patching rafts that Zack will be out of business soon do to all the DIY raft remains from gorilla tape.

You can get away with rolling on the urethane, but having it sprayed professionally just looks well, professional.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Clear Gorilla tape is great stuff, but eventually will peel off and just be more junk in the river. Go with a permanent coating.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
JIMM, I've thought about doing this to prevent friction when boofing rocks and ELFing. Duckies tend to stick where plastic slides right over - and sometimes it's at the lip of something steep!
The urethane might help prevent wear, but it's stickier than hard plastic, in my opinion.

If you do glue something on there please post a photo. I'd love to see how it works out.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,471 Posts
Thanks for letting out the secret dave. :rolleyes: Usually removing all the gorilla tape residue when its time for a real patch only adds a half hour to the bill.

I assumed JIMM was talking about PVC material mainly for wear, not a hard plastic of some sort.

JIMM, if you are talking about a hard plastic, I haven't done that yet.

·
Jared
733 Posts
What kind of IK are we talking about? I've run the shit out of an Old Riken IK and an AIRE Force and never had a wear issue, and I am a 300 lb gorilla, so it's not like I am easy on them. (we are talking over 1000 river miles on both)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talking about a sevylor sk100ds. This is just a preventive measure, not saying that theres anything wrong with the IK.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Talking about a sevylor sk100ds. This is just a preventive measure, not saying that theres anything wrong with the IK.

Hmm.... Sounds like if u feel like you need to reinforce it when new that you might have purchased a more superior product. Aren't those made for lakes and such?

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
Hmm.... Sounds like if u feel like you need to reinforce it when new that you might have purchased a more superior product. Aren't those made for lakes and such?
not made for lakes and such. not all of their products are pool toys, and not all of their products are lake toys. heavy pvc, self bailing, drop stitch floor, thigh straps, all the stuff you want in a river running IK. though they do stick to some rocks in shallow water, I've not experienced any damage on any of mine.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
um hmmm

"Duckies tend to stick where plastic slides right over-sometimes at the lip of something steep!...you mean like this Randaddy Panoramio - Photos of the World In this case it was the travertine rock that was sticky- 50 grit sandpaper like texture -that stalled me at the lip but still enough current to spin my stern sideways...was trying for the narrow slide center left ( center right in picture)..the normal line is the obvious steep tongue...lesson learned - don' t get cute on travertine at low water....in general PVC is more plastic like than hypalon type materials
Edit %$#@& ing address ..try mayanwhitewater.com Moho river

Panoramio - Photos of the World

1 - 18 of 18 Posts