Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's it guy how returned his wasted Kokotat Drysuit after five years of abuse. You ruined it for everyone. REI has changed their return policy. You now get one year from regular purchase and 30 days from Outlet.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
They still have my business.

If you have gone to their yard sales over the last few years you can see why they did this.

It wasn't one guy doing a 'rental' on a dry suit.
There were thousands of people doing 'rentals'.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't understand all of the hate against REI. I needed some dry bags recently for a last minute overnighter, was very happy that I could get them that day. Convenience is nice.

It's unfortunate that people take advantage of their return policy to the extent that they do. As the dude might say, "You aren't wrong, you're just an asshole."

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
One year is still a generous return policy. I've got no problem with that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You know REI stands for " Return Every Item". They have always treated me right and I will continue to give them my business.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The one year return policy does not cover normal wear and tear. "REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Never returned a goddamn thing to REI, except a rental. I do understand however how some jack holes might abuse this ....

·
Registered
950 Posts
So people are nice to you (REI) and it is best to take advantage of them? What if they intentionally sold that guy a broken snowboard and refused to give his money back....wouldn't that be just like he did to them?

·
Registered
328 Posts
When I got some new hiking boots a couple of years ago I asked if they could also repair my old ones (expecting to have to pay) the dude behind the counter said "if you bought them here just return them", to which I replied, " but I've use them for about 10 years" to which he replied "we'll still give you a full refund".

I just couldn't do it. They make nice work boots now.

One year is still plenty to weed out any manufacturing defects. Beyond that it's just that you used the product and either grew out of it, abused it or used it until it's intended end of life. Stop being selfish entitled little cock suckers.

·
Free and Easy
101 Posts
To the crowd that put together the video: I hope you all drown...in a bathtub full of your own miscreance.

No questions asked warranties exist on the premise that a few individuals will abuse it, but by and large American consumers are good people, who do right by companies that are so willing to back their product. Go ahead and ruin that for the rest of us, and don't be suprised when there's no throwbag sent when you want one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't understand how you can be pissed at the people "ruining it for everybody else". That seems to imply that 1) You think people that return things beyond a reasonable point in time or state of wear are in the wrong, but also 2) You want to be able to do the same thing. I confuse.

I think 1 year is more than reasonable.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I don't understand how you can be pissed at the people "ruining it for everybody else". That seems to imply that 1) You think people that return things beyond a reasonable point in time or state of wear are in the wrong, but also 2) You want to be able to do the same thing. I confuse.

I think 1 year is more than reasonable.
It's a coop. The prices are higher because of the policy, which some abused. Maybe they will become more cost competitive

A. Member

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
REI

Here is a link to what I was talking about earlier: Return Policy

Listen folks know me. Paddling has been my life for a bit now. Because of that I used to get some deals every now and then and it felt good to feel like I was saving money on the things I love and often needed in a hurry. REI gives me the chance to save 10% on everything else with their membership program. And, if you plan ahead they also have regular sales and you can stock-up on what you need. REI is still a good company and serves the greater good.

REI is good to me, because they have things I need when I need them, like listed above you can use products and find out if there defective. (Really if it doesn't happen on the first few trips... IT'S YOU) Real problems are covered in the policy above. Orginal company deals will be ownered and if is a problem with construction it will be covered.

REI's shift is just a reflection of the times. It became the norm to return things when they wore out. And, that was never the original purpose of the REI policy in the beginning.

LL Bean became who the were because when they launched as mail order company they listed their orginal Duck Boot (Rubber Buttom and Leather Upper). The glue they used on that first batch was bad and almost all of the first 100 pairs fell apart. Needless to say they would be no more if they would not have supported their products, and that they did. LL Bean replaced every pair and so built the legend and the company.

Other outdoor companies followed the LL Bean model as a way to build customer loyality and respect.

In fact the qualities most highly sought after in a retailer are... 1) Be an expert in what you sell. 2) Stand behind what you sold. 3) Provide availability of product. REI still does that for me in all the things I'm not an expert in. I'll continue to buy there and other places. I would encourage you to do the same.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I wouldn't say it's abusing a policy when the guy at the counter tells you to return it. I'll be buying a lot more stuff from my local mom and pop stores that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Real sporting goods stores have guns, ammo and camo! I don't shop at stores that carry hippy sandals. I miss old fashion army surplus stores.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Other outdoor companies followed the LL Bean model as a way to build customer loyality and respect.
Consumer Reports does a yearly rating of customer satisfaction with different stores. LL Bean has consistently beat out REI by a whisker. Together, they are the best.

I'd recommend either depending on the item being purchased.

=======

When there was only one store in Seattle we'd load up in my VW Van and make it soon enough to still be within a block of the door at opening.
I do miss that level of camaraderie with everyone else. Just seeing a Whittacker brother in the store was special to a simpleton like me.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts