Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for veterans of the Red River near Taos:

Is it possible to portage some of the harder drops?

For anyone who has been down there recently, what is the wood situation?

What other runs could it be compared to as far as difficulty?

Any beta would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Red River beta

A group of us did the Red River a couple of weeks ago. There were only 2 real defined hard drops, both of them were scoutable and portageable. If you are with a group who has never run it, give yourself alot of time. There were some blind corners and we did a lot of unnecessary scouting because we did not know the run. We portaged twice because of wood, both towards the end of the run. My only advice, scout what you cannot see and take a small group because there are not really any big eddies to catch.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the beta!
We are heading down there this weekend and I'm hoping the other guys in the crew will be up for it. Good to know that the rapids can be scouted and portaged if necessary. From the few pictures I've seen, it looks like a sweet run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the beta!
We are heading down there this weekend and I'm hoping the other guys in the crew will be up for it. Good to know that the rapids can be scouted and portaged if necessary. From the few pictures I've seen, it looks like a sweet run.
Ran it yesterday at about 295. Like someone said before, you can scout and walk the major rapids. We did 3 scouts and the rest was read and run. We ran it in 1.5 hour (2 boaters). If you have a big group it may take longer due to the micro eddies, there is one section with a big tree branch river right where the line is that we walked (not part of the major rapid). If the levels get higher, I don't think it would be an issue.
Have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts