Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a great degree of discussion a while ago about Rome ceasing production of their aluminum rectangular Dutch with the griddle lid.

I was poking around the Sportsman's Warehoue yesterday and saw a Camp Chef 13" rectangular Dutch oven. It had a ridged lid that looked like it would stink as a breakfast griddle, but would work well with steaks, fish, chicken, etc.

It is cast iron and weighs a ton, but it was rectangular.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Can I assume that you have looked at the Partner Steel square hard anodized aluminum ovens?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I am one big time fan of river items made by Partner Steel. I cannot say enough good things about their stoves and griddles.

I have a couple of their Dutch Ovens, for some reason I have never done much with them. I had hopes they would replace my GSI units. But they have not. The Partner Steel DO concept - that slant side down to a much smaller bottom has not clicked with me. Again don't know why and am interested in comments from other Dutch Oven cookers as to what they think.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
twmartin, I have been looking at those Camp Chef square DO's as well. Mainly thinking that square bottom would make a very good fry pan.

Have not heard any feedback on the Camp Chef squares from the Dutch Oven folks I generally look to for feed back on DO quality.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can also look into the Bayou Classic fish pans. These are 18" x 12ish" cast iron "skillets" without handles which replaced the Lodge Fish Pans which are no longer made. I have two. Heavy as hell. Each perfectly covers half of a 4 burner 18" PS stove. The PS Dutch ovens are nice for nesting and storage but I'm with okieboater vs. the GSI round ones.

Also, since the fish pans are so heavy, I'll called Partner Steel and they had two left-over "lasgana" pans made as a special order for someone who never got them. They are the same size and shape as their griddles, but with 3" slightly sloping sides. Perfect for much lighter all-purpose pans. Not sure if they'll make any more though. But you can ask.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
I think Duct Tape is on to something. Would it be better if PS's Dutch ovens were rectangular and shallower and would they pack better with a removable bale in place of the handles?

You can also look into the Bayou Classic fish pans. These are 18" x 12ish" cast iron "skillets" without handles which replaced the Lodge Fish Pans which are no longer made. I have two. Heavy as hell. Each perfectly covers half of a 4 burner 18" PS stove. The PS Dutch ovens are nice for nesting and storage but I'm with okieboater vs. the GSI round ones.

Also, since the fish pans are so heavy, I'll called Partner Steel and they had two left-over "lasgana" pans made as a special order for someone who never got them. They are the same size and shape as their griddles, but with 3" slightly sloping sides. Perfect for much lighter all-purpose pans. Not sure if they'll make any more though. But you can ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts