Mountain Buzz banner

recreation.gov

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  mdwalter 
#1 ·
Wanted to pass along a tip if you are trying to add spots to a permit you won on recreation.gov. You need to put in your current permit # + the spots you want to add (if avail). I went in this week and wanted to add 3 spots to my san juan permit and out in 3 (6 were listed as avail). Well this reduced my permit from 12 to 3. I immediately called rec.gov and they could not help/reverse. I did grab the 6 that were avail to make it 9 total. Now waiting for the numbers cancelled off of my permit to be released back into the avail pool and hopefully get back to atleast my original 12.

It just is not too clear how the system worked. I should of put in 15 (12 original + 3 wanted to add)

#15 ·
I had a permit for 12 people, recreation.gov indicated there were spots I could add, so I put in 3 to add those spots. It reduced my permit to 3 instead of adding. I should of put in 15 (12+3) to get the 15. Rec.gov could not help me but the river office got my permit back to 12 as the additional spots indicated went away

#3 ·
My approach with Rec.gov has been to apply for a very small permit, like 4-6 people to try and get accepted. Then following up closer to the date adding people as allowed. You can add or subtract from your group size up until the day the permit is paid for.

If you apply for the maximum group size you will have a harder time pulling a permit...but if you get that max size permit then you don't need to update anything until you pay.

#18 ·
Yup paid for 12. But when I put in 3 (thinking i was adding 3) rec.gov automatically reduced my permit to 3 and refunded me. Just letting people know to be careful on rec.gov... and if you want to add numbers and they are avail put in the original permit number PLUS the additions. Rec.gov could not help me as I realized what happened immediately.. San Juan river office helped me out and got me my original 12 back.

#9 ·
8 wasted Middle Fork permits on rec.gov right now. Man that ticks me off. If you aren't committed to a trip between August 15 and September 15, then please don't apply for a permit during that time.

#14 ·
Hey cataraftgirl,
speaking of late season Middle Fork trips, been wanting to try it. Thinking I need to pull that trip off in 2017 if possible, will be putting in for a late season date to, if you want to do a trip?
Have a small cat, never run middle fork, but have run plenty of bony water on the Ark.

#20 ·
Deso

With Deso the trick is to just put down a couple of people and add more as needed as it is priced per person, unlike the Yampa which is a flat rate. But here is the kicker, do not print the permit until you have a final group. Once you print the permit it is final.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.