Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made reservations for sites at the Wilderness Gateway campground for my annual Father's Day pilgrimage and big green water way back in January.

Covid hit, and I kept my reservation, hoping it would clear.

Now MT and Idaho are opening back up and I got an email Wednesday that the campground was closed through June 5 (the first date of my reservation) so they cancelled they whole reservation. I quickly jumped online and made a reservation starting 6/6.

I have confirmed with both the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forest and with the Lochsa District Ranger that the Wilderness Gateway campground is not closed and has opened today, May 30, and will be open for the forseeable future. There was no order from the Forest or the District to rec.gov to close the campground or cancel reservations. Also talked to the Recreation assistant and plan to follow up through the official channels.

So...got ANOTHER email yesterday that my subsequent reservation was cancelled. WTF?!

I'm about to go all Karen on rec.gov's butt.

(And I don't care so much about the reservation, but my wife does. For all I care, I could sleep in the Ghetto or in the ditch as long as I get on the river. My wifey on the other hand likes to go over there to camp with me, but gets anxious when we drive 4 hours and don't know if there's a spot to camp)

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
If there is still a spot open on Rec.gov for your campground, maybe try reserving, then modifying the reservation?
Sorry you are having trouble....

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't have time to follow up over the weekend, oldest girlkid graduated.

Now back to my regularly scheduled river planning.

Turns out that the Nez Perce Clearwater National Forest supervisor did publish a new order as of 5/29 specifically opening some campgrounds and the Wilderness Gateway campground remained on the specifically closed list. Buddy of mine rode his bike over yesterday, and sent back photos, the CG is definitely closed.

Not entirely sure why they'd keep the CG closed when Idaho went to Stage 3 on Saturday.

Can't get through to either the supervisor's office or the district ranger by phone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Congrats to the graduate! I tried to find a name and number for Public Information Officer...there is an update as of May 30, but you probably have already seen it
(Facebook)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
MT4Runner, congratulations to your daughter. Ya, this virus situation is creating alot of confusion on normal operations and very frustrating to us on what policies they are going to use or create on a day to day basis. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both. She's an awesome kid. There was no doubt she'd graduate, but I'm even prouder of what she learned outside the classroom. She's going to be good at life--a real people person--compassionate, funny, charismatic, determined. But we'll miss her when she leaves for college in August.

I did get an answer from the Nez Perce/Clearwater NF through FB messenger after I posted on their FB page:

Nez Perce/Clearwater NF said:
Thank you for bringing that to our attention about the website. We did update our phone numbers on our Contact Us - Offices webpage, but hadn't update the phone# in the sidebar on our homepage. We can look into how to update that to make sure folks can reach us right away. So sorry again for the inconvenience!

me said:
Thank you so much for reaching out! I had made my Wilderness Gateway campground reservations back in January and was anxiously awaiting a return to "normal" and was excited to see the Governor re-opening Idaho to visitors. It was frustrating to think I'd actually get to camp there and boat the Lochsa only to have my reservation cancelled by Recreation.Gov before I saw any notification from the Forest.

While I'm not thrilled the campground is still closed, as the campground holds more than 50 people, yet groups of that size or larger are not common; I do understand the decisions the Supervisor Probert has had to make, and I really appreciate the explanation on your Facebook page (which was why I was calling--to get clarification on the order) In the future, it might be helpful to have the amended Order come out prior to notifying Rec.gov and have the rec.gov vendor include a copy of the order in their cancellation notice.

Again, I appreciate the followup and your efforts to get information out in these confusing times.

Nez Perce/Clearwater NF said:
We certainly appreciate that feedback too. These really are unprecedented times, with things changing rapidly. We have been trying to get information out as soon as possible, but sometimes that has meant not all of the information coming out at once, or information coming out through different channels - which can certainly be frustrating. We really appreciate the patience and understanding of folks like you as we work through this. We are looking forward to getting "back to normal" as soon as we can!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts