·
Super Moderator
4,208 Posts
Yowch.

Reactions: villagelightsmith

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah I was on site. We rolled down to pull over and scout and there was another private group assisting the NPS, which had been there all morning. When we showed up there was a NPS ranger in the wrapped boat trying to get an equalizing anchor set. We assumed the boat had been abandoned the day before and it looked like they were able to de-rig most of the coolers/boxes out of the boat and proceeded downstream. The ranger used a SUP to get out to the raft. It took a long time to get an anchor point set. We attempted probably 20 throws with bags to get a line to him for a Z drag from river left which would have been the easiest way to pull off. None of those throws could reach him or be floated down to him mid river. We tried tying 2 - 75' lines together and still could not get it to him due to the current pulling the bag just out of reach. If we had got a line to him I believe we would have had the boat off very quickly. Eventually the NPS rangers on river right got him a line and they gave up on river left attempts. At that point the NPS attempted to set a Z at an angle that was basically upstream and fighting the river. This was unsuccessful in moving the boat. The private group in front of us had 2 firefighters that rowed across up above and helped them reset a new angle and Z drag pulling directly across the river. After about 20 minutes once it was set the raft was off and all lines were out of the water. But all told we were there for about 5 hrs and the rangers had been there probably closer to 8 hrs.

I put together a short video to sort of serve as a general guideline for Hells Half Mile below. This is at 2100 cfs. Ultimately I learned that I need to work on my throw bag skills as do a lot of other people. Also, need to brush up on my Z drag skills. Our inability to get a line to mid river was something we all discussed as a major fail and a tool would have been useful. Potentially a grappling hook of sorts to hook a thrown line or a water balloon launcher to send a rope further than could be tossed.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What rock is it pinned on?

It looks like Huggy Bear rather then Lucifer. Huggy Bear is a pair of rocks river right and downstream of Lucifer that you risk hitting if you stop paying attention after you get passed Lucifer. You can go either side...but it looks like a really bad place to hit since it basically pins you between two sleeper rocks.

I wouldn't let this incident keep intermediate level boaters from going down there. Not sure what happened here...but its likely due to inaction and some bad luck rather then it being a common occurance. There is definitely a move to make, but its pretty straightforward and easier to make then it looks from the scout.

edit: Just watched Riverwild's video for answers to my query and it is great and shows the hazards and that you just have to make sure you do the moves...no big deal. I've seen more then a few people blunder through, hit Lucifer in all kinds of weird ways, and still be fine. Honestly....Huggy Bear is the biggest hazard since the current tries to push you into it. Everyone seems to worry about Lucifer but I've never heard of anyone every actually pinning on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our group went through this section on the afternoon of Aug 17, and there was no boat hung up at that time. I was rowing sweep for the group with a big 16' raft, but I ended up having the ugliest run of the group. I stroked air instead of water and almost got hung up on huggy bear and was forced to go around it river right and it got very bony. I got hung up twice on small stuff and I ended up having to deflate the aft port tube (just a little bit) to get out. Hells Half Mile is no joke!

I was a pro tree climber for quite a few years, so my z-drag has a couple extras. I use double pulleys so I could rig a 5 to 1 if necessary (though I would probably be pulling frame apart and D-Rings off if I used it) . https://www.amazon.com/GM-CLIMBING-Progress-Arborist-Climbing/dp/B07F26191B/ . I also have ascenders in my kit for rope progress capture, which I prefer using over my prusik lines.

I also include an arborist throw line and weight. Amazon.com : Throw Weight and Line Kit by Weaver Leather : Sports & Outdoors We use these to throw a string over very high branches and then pull the rope up and through with the string. At Hells Half, I am pretty sure I could throw one of these to anyone anywhere in the river. Then I would tie the string to a rope end so they could pull the rope over to them. I don't have a fishing bobber attached to mine, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it float!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
My sympathies go out to the boater who left his pride and joy behind. Bummer.

I salute KellyTrimming's contribution.

To extend my throw I carry high test fishing line. After throwing a couple of blank sticks and hitting the dude on the broached raft making him duck cursing I then load the driftwood stick by tying on fishing line.

I've found that I've been able to double the distance and accuracy of throwing a stick over hand with high test fishing line attached rather than trying to do the deed with a throw bag underhand(even with practice on the throw bag).

Once you established communications between ship and shore with fishing line you haul in the z-drag lines.

In the end I'd rather have failed attempts at using fishing line then throw bag lines snagged in the river.

For what it is worth.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
My sympathies to a 78 yr old rafter. At 65 being on WW since under age 18, I hope to be out there over my head at that age.

At any age, a person can have a bad day. Salute to the 78 year old gentleman.

It is a nice boat. Hyside. Crafted side decks. NRS straps. Binimi. Tractor seat. The man had class and knowledge and a bad day.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Some of you guys make it sound like anyone over 65 is lucky to still be on the water be on the water. NUTS to that. I'm 73 and leaving for my 4 raft trip this year. This time the main salmon. Ten of us going with one youngster that is 55, the rest are retired including one 81 year old, that is rowing his own boat as are we all. In 59 years of rowing my own boat I have been hung on a rock 2 times, once at triplet and once below Lucifer. The gates just has a way of sneaking up on a fellow no matter what his age is. Until you have been on your top or had a beer while wondering how to off the rock you just found. You simply have not been rafting long enough yet. Just relax, everyone gets a turn at screwing up sooner or later. I hope everyone is okay that were on that raft.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Some of you guys make it sound like anyone over 65 is lucky to still be on the water be on the water. NUTS to that. I'm 73 and leaving for my 4 raft trip this year.
I did the grand this year with a 78 year old, who was rowing an 18 foot boat, gear, passengers and all, he had some of the sweetest runs out of the entire group, which consisted of 2 river rangers, couple commercial guides and a couple never evers, who did very well, not a flip or wrap in the whole trip, save for them messing with a ducky LOL. Last year, same trip, 70 year old with a torn ACL, shit, he worked harder than many on the trip in camp, and what he did row (he had his 26 year old daughter along who rowed 50%) he did with style and grace, again no wraps or flips.

Age ain't nothing but a number, I like to think, at 60, that I'm like a rare wine, I don't get older, I just get better !!

Bwahahahahah

1 - 20 of 42 Posts