Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like some input on shaft length and HP for an Aire 143R. I already have the nrs motor mount NRS Frame U-Style Raft Motor Mount | NRS.
I have never used a whitewater boat with a motor. I have an 2 stroke Mercury 9.9 short shaft that I could use in the meantime I understand that 9.9 hp is not needed and yes I have registered the boat.
Photos would be great

·
Registered
522 Posts
Most boats will need a long shaft, although dropping a Merc 9.9 on the back of a 143 with a driver should drop that ass far enough that the short shaft will probably work, I think 143Rs have a 9"-10" drop in the stern, and the motor is going to be around 60lbs, plus driver. If it doesn't reach, a jackass is always an option, then you can move it up and down. You won't get that 9.9 up past an idle very much before it tries to dive under your boat, though. The U bend motor mount is also a bit adjustable, if you need a couple inches you can drop the transom a bit on the bars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the 9.9 on the boat with the boat on the the trailer. I did make a note the last time we were on the river to check the waterline with the raft floating loaded with the intention of the making notes for the motor. Looks like the short shaft should work with more weight Stern with the motor and myself as you said.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I just tried my new to me long shaft 2.5hp motor on my cat and it worked pretty perfect. I think it almost needs to be mounted a little higher...but I need to make a few changes to how I have it mounted. I have a 5hp long shaft too and it works great. They make extra long ones for sale boats too if you really need the height.

I think a short could work, especially with the 9.9. Might take a jackass or creative mounting to get it to work though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts