Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am relatively new to white water rafting. I have rowed Desolation Canyon now 4 times and rowed the Yampa except for Warm Springs where I switched out of a more experienced rower. I have a wife and 2 kids, recently bought a 16 foot Riken. Getting kinda bored with Desolation but I don't want to run anything that is "Out of my league". I put in for Gates of Lodre and Yampa but haven't drawn a permit for the last 2 years. I heard that the Main Salmon would be a good "Next level" river for me. Just looking for suggestions on where to go next. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The main Salmon is an excellent river for families when the water level drops. At high water levels there are a few nasty spots. At low water levels it becomes a great float with some fun rapids (Note: pay attention to what the book says for several rapids - Big Mallard is a left run for beginners/novices at low water even though the right looks tempting and Chitam can be snuck on the river right).

Great beaches, good swimming holes, etc.

Do it!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like your looking for Multi-day..?
Or will day trips do?

Also-where do you live?
Sounds like western slope CO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey LJ, I just pulled a Salmon permit for early July. Avg flows is 15k for that time of year. I've done Alberton Gorge in Montana 4x at 10k and under. I'm a bit apprehensive about the 15k, can I compare the two or not? 2nd year into doing 3's and I think too much!
Gail

1 - 5 of 5 Posts