Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hitting the GC in January. We're doing a private. I'm looking for recommendations for companies that do the food and/or rafts, etc. Mostly the food. Experiences?
Joe

·
Registered
286 Posts
P.R.O., have used them 3 times now, always gone with the "painless private" option and have no regrets.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hey Joe, I am going in about three weeks (Oct. 28th!!!:), we picked Moenkopi River Works. Heard nothing but great things about them, and they had the most competitive price quote as well. We get off the Canyon Nov 12th and I will be happy to give you a rundown on them when I get back.

When we did our research we heard mostly positive things about both REO and PRO with the occasional negative or neutral review. The reviews about Moenkopi were glowing and we didn't find the negative or neutral reviews about them. Search through the posts at GCPBA and RRFW's yahoo groups and their sites and you will get a lot of feedback.

One other thing - short days are the norm so you want to tailor your menu to cooking in the cold and dark. Some of the outfitters will set you up to peel potatoes, cut 5 different kinds of veggies and generally do a lot of kitchen work, probably not fun in the cold and dark.

·
Registered
69 Posts
outfitters

Hitting the GC in January. We're doing a private. I'm looking for recommendations for companies that do the food and/or rafts, etc. Mostly the food. Experiences?
Joe

Moenkopi Riverworks: Grand Canyon River Rentals
I live in flagstaff and the best co. is defiantly Moenkopi river works
they do it all
outfit, rent, food, travel all of it!!
small co, locals guys, not P.R.O. and there private jet and 40 huge gas vans

·
Registered
154 Posts
Brady is hilarious!

I just got off a GC trip in September and we used Moenkopi Riverworks. I definately recommend them over REO. I haven't used PRO, but Brady at Moenkopi is a great guy with great equipment and service.

If you do use Moenkopi, check out their Country Boy menu options. We had the pulled pork and it was super easy and great tasting. The meat is already cooked and you just open up the vacuum bag and dump and heat. Next time, I am going with Country Boy dinners every night!

PM me if you want and I can send along the menu we used and some comments.

·
Here is another option that I've heard good things about for food.

Karen M. House, LPC

Cocina del Rio

Catering to River Rats

www.coconadelrio.com <http://www.coconadelrio.com/>

505-670-2585

And like has been mentioned, Brady gets good reviews for the whole deal.
No personal experience with either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Used PRO and REO. Both were fine but PRO was better. REO gave us way too much food which was hard to pack. With both companies we only paid for ten people even though there were 12 of us. We still hauled way too much food out as waste. I would do the food myself because it's a lot cheaper. If I used an outfitter I would use the "Painless PRO" if i I do it again. The drivers from both companies were great. Like an earlier post stated you want to spend your time enjoying the trip. Look for meals that have no prep time (peeling potatoes or long cooking stews, etc). I could eat burgers, hot dogs, and canned beans three days a week if I had a choice because of easy cooking. (I'm a food service guy in the real world so I don't want to cook for fifteen on my time off.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got off a GC trip in September and we used Moenkopi Riverworks. I definately recommend them over REO. I haven't used PRO, but Brady at Moenkopi is a great guy with great equipment and service.

If you do use Moenkopi, check out their Country Boy menu options. We had the pulled pork and it was super easy and great tasting. The meat is already cooked and you just open up the vacuum bag and dump and heat. Next time, I am going with Country Boy dinners every night!

PM me if you want and I can send along the menu we used and some comments.
you should try to pay brady in beer
he'll probably do it
he is a great guy and halarious especially with a few beers in him
also Rico same both flg locals

·
Registered
286 Posts
"Door to Door" same as "Painless Private" on PRO???

Moenkopi Riverworks: Grand Canyon River Rentals
I live in flagstaff and the best co. is defiantly Moenkopi river works
they do it all
outfit, rent, food, travel all of it!!
small co, locals guys, not P.R.O. and there private jet and 40 huge gas vans
Hey, Paul. I checked out Moenkopi's website. Is their "door to door" the same idea as PRO's "painless private?" Moenkopi's food selection looks waaayyy better, fresher, etc. and the only one thing we have always found to be drawback of PRO is like others said: too much food, a little too much prep time, and occasionally some issues finding where things were packed. Otherwise, PRO's gear, service, and people have been great.
Even as a former guide with my own gear, I still prefer showing up down there and using the bigger boats specifically set up for those Grand-sized loads, food all packed, etc. We have an '09 trip coming, and seems well worth looking into Moenkopi more, especially if their boats/frames are similar to what PRO provides. What did you think of the raft setups?

·
Registered
144 Posts
CIEBA ADVENTURES

Joe
check out cieba they're small and fun to deal with I went through pro in 05, and gonna use cieba this time for january 17th whats your date? dirka dirka ADAM S

·
Registered
5 Posts
had an excellent experience with Ceiba last fall, whole shebang deal, good amount of food ( we had some super-eater garbage disposal types though) and they even snuck a thanksgiving dinner (and decorations) in for us on one of our last days on the water! Great small company that helped us out every step of the way, very flexible, and very interesting people! All that and we got money back after they food shopped for us.

I would no hesitate to use them again, and hope to soon!

I would use them again in heartbeat,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Call Scott at Ceiba, he is your man for everything! 800-217-1060 or ceibaadventures.com

We used them this June and they were great. The food was great and we had to much(the 110+ heat had alot to do with it), but for total newbies no body down the Grand before they were great. We did the hole Shabang and their gear was great. Our rafts and equipment we got from them was the newest and nicest by far from what we saw on the river. Their prices were lower than Pro and Reo. We will use them again for sure. Their customer service was awesome.
Mike

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

This thing about food is interesting. I've only done two private trips, one where we did our own, and the other where REO did a great job for us on the meals. I'm pretty sure you'd get good results from any of the firms that have been mentioned.

The food dilemma the outfitters have seems to me to be pretty simple. They can't afford to ever have a trip come back and say that there wasn't enough food. That would be deadly in terms of their reputation, and I think they'd much rather take the rap for too much food.

Intricate or time-consuming kitchen operations is another matter, of course. But each of them seems to offer a wide range of meal plans -- all you have to do is tell them that you want simple preparation. And they all are going to give you approval over the menu, so that's a final check.

FWIW.

Rich Philllips
gulchradio.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
ceiba

ceiba was great I don't think it gets any better in terms of food and boats

·
Registered
450 Posts
http://www.canonoutfitters.com/
Try this guy from PAGE...much more convenient being in Page near Lee's and his shit is tight...as nice as PRO from what I saw. I met the guy picking up some dudes at Diamond and he is cool as shit as well....sounds like he is way LESS money too! We rented REO due to cost but this guy being in Page would have saved us a couple hundered in gas and 6 hours.

American D system on the keg...ales pour better and hold up better with temp change. Make sure the pouring line is small (1/4 ID) and at least 6' long to ovoid the dreaded foam only pour. We drank 9 kegs (1/2 barrel big ones) with 10 people over 17 days, plus two nights of booze.

Also Joe you can check out my cheaters post...lots of time to save reading our attachments here...
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/grand-canyon-cheat-sheet-itin-menu-gear-n-beer-21361.html

no doubt you will have a good time with any rental company, not the rental that makes it or breaks it ya know....need to have enough beer and bacon and coffee.

-russ

·
Registered
882 Posts
Used REO for a trip in '04 - food was very good and there was plenty of it, including for lunch, which is a bigger deal for hardboaters, really. But there way too much prep time - making spaghetti sauce from tomato paste and sauteing your garlic, etc...fine for home, but too much work when you want to sit and watch the river go by.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts