Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Buzzards,

Anybody out there have any recommendations on a good website hosting site? I want to build a website, but I want a site thats easy and user friendly. Looking for basic content... text, links, photos, videos etc.

Looking for something that's reasonably priced, doesn't have a gotcha buried a mile into the user agreement, is reliable, and easy to use.

Did some searching on the net, and there are so many, I'm having trouble differentiating. Do you have any postive or negative recommendations?

Thanks!

P.S. If you are good at setting up web sites and want to help me set up a Bailey Fest web site (link vids, pics, maps, help me set up a pay pal shopping cart for tickets and shirts etc) let me know. At this point I am clueless about setting up a website, but I want to get one up for Bailey Fest.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,442 Posts
ian,

i have been using bluehost for years for raftfix.com. i think it boils down to a few bucks a month. havent ever seen it down. super easy to upload your own stuff through an ftp or right there on the control panel (though i dont do it nearly often enough). no negatives about it at all. the only problems i have had are my own web design illiteracies.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Just setup a blog on blogger... it's free. Use vimeo/youtube for videos. Everything else will be free including a reasonable link ie "baileyfest.blogger.com". You can post updates as necessary.

·
Registered
536 Posts
another option would be the template based sites at 1and1.com and really are probably all you will need. $9.99 hosted with use of the templates per month, i believe.

Business website needed? Create a small business website with 1&1

even with basic template sites like these.... a good sense of design, photos, logos,text colors, fonts,ect will still make or break a site.

as always, remember........... Keep It Simple Stupid

·
Registered
536 Posts
forgot...

if you are looking for more advanced control over the design but don't want to learn code then i would recommend the adobe dreamweaver software. all WYSIWYG ,if you choose. that said, you still need to learn allot of stuff vs templates and not cheap software. this program and hosting/domain registration through godaddy.com is what i've been using for over 10+ years now.good and reliable and solid customer service at godaddy too. they actually call you a couple times a year to see if you have any problems,questions,ect.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I gotta go with GoDaddy and their "website tonight". I tried other wordpress-like things. I ended up having to pay a good bit for a site that was not easy for me to change. I went back with Go Daddy. It is basically free and I like it better than wordpress junk. See www.steamboatlawyer.com for an example. Took me a couple hours and I was done.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check out squarespace.com. For ease of use, high number of features, and capability to add advanced elements if needed it can't be beat. I've used most of the stuff mentioned above and squarespace trumps it all in my opinion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks from me too- I've also been needing to get off my butt and put together a website for all the classes I teach (Wilderness First Aid, CPR, etc) but have been daunted by all the options/prices. So far I've just been using Facebook to promote my classes/show pictures. Just starting out so any feedback is a good thing. And if you want to look at the FB site- you're welcome to. (And you can tell me what kind of kayak I've been using for my scenarios- lol) https://www.facebook.com/WildernessSafetyAcademy

(and no- I'm not advertising- Not many of you are in the Western WA market to take WFA or CPR classes I'm guessing)

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
For a bailey fest site, get domain name at godaddy and set up google apps for domains (free version) then use sites.google.com. Happy to help if you need.

For a professional website, get a domain name at godaddy, set up google apps for domains free version (email, documents, basic sites with redirect) and have somebody do a 3 or 5 page website for you.

Please stay away from Wix, 1and1 or squarespace as they run flash and most users HATE flash, not to mention that it will not work on iDevices. godaddy hosting is cheap and can be joomla, .netnuke or wordpress as well as others.

If it was a business website, I'd say spend the $1000 bucks to get it done right. I do domain admin and have a buddy that does html5 websites that I work closely with. He can host as well. Located in the Roaring Fork valley so your $$$ stay local.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts