Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to take a swift water rescue course. I don't need it for professional purposes; rather, I raft for recreation but have been told it's a good idea to take this course. Can anyone recommend places to take the course? I have heard that Dvorak Expeditions does a good job. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Southwest Rescue offers courses in Wilderness Medicine, Swiftwater Rescue, and Avalanche Education in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico

I took a class with Aaron in June 2010 and really enjoyed it. He is a great instructor and seemed like a really nice guy. My class was pretty much all river guides and Durango Fire Rescue folks, and then me the pudgy private boater guy. I did not feel out of place and it was nice to be in a class where most of the students were late 20s or older (ie. not a bunch of 19 year olds).

When I took the class Aaron had access to a section private land along the Pine River below Vallecitos Reservoir. This meant that our class was able to work without any distractions from the public. That really helped us focus and work together as a group.

And definitely buy/borrow a dry suit for the class. Made all the difference.

·
Here is a copy/paste from the Utah Rafters yahoo group. I did this course a couple of years ago and it is focuses mainly on rafting. We did rope work, set up z drags, swam rapids, flipped rafts and other stuff that one may encounter on a big water river. I would recommend it.
Like others have said, use a dry suit as there is much time spent in the water.

(We will have river rescue workshops May 4-6 and June 15-17. These will be held
on the Green River Daily, just up river from the town of Green River, UT. I have
put general information in the files section under River Rescue Workshop . . .
Call Carbon Rec at 435-636-3702 for more information or email Bo Christensen at
[email protected] or myself at [email protected] Cost of each
workshop is $255 and there substantial are early registration discounts.)

Those Southwest Rescue courses sound really good, maybe I'll do one of them next. I try and do a different course about ever other year and I'm past due.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dakota7- where are you located? Where are you willing to drive to?

There are many good courses in many locations. Are you specifically looking for something around the Ark?

I personally recommend Mike Mather's course. He teaches a course or two every spring through 4 Corners Riversports (one of mountainbuzz's sponsors I believe) in Durango. He is through American Canoe Association.

*disclaimer- I used to work there, though he isn't affiliated with the store to my knowledge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Denver but am willing to drive a few hours to get to a good course.
Thanks to all for the great info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts