Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Looking for a recommendation for a drysuit for an early spring trip to the GC. I'm 6'2" @ 170lbs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
what do you plan on doing with this drysuit after your GC trip? I suppose most people will tell you to get the Kokotat GMER and it is indeed, the Cadillac of the dry suit world. If you are willing to shell out the 1200 dollars it is definately the way to go. It is definately worth the investment if you are going to be using it for a couple years. However, if you are only going to be using it for this ONE trip then I would think about something a little bit more economical such as a mid-range drysuit like the Kokotat GFE or an NRS dry suit. I own a Kokotat GMER and LOVE it. But it is definitely an investment that I plan on using throughout the years.

On a side note, if you are using it for only one trip maybe spending the time to find a lightly used suit might be the way to go.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
+1 on Kayak Academy. if you rent from them, you get $150 credit towards a purchase of a dry suit for one year. So try one out on the GC, and if you want one to own after that, use the credit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Renting one for a 21 day Grand trip will cost you $300 including shipping both ways. It would probably be good to look into buying a good used one unless you plan on not getting invited back on another spring GC trip.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recos. Any suggestions on fit for a 6'2" 170lb guy?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
another vote on kayak Academy and Kokatat

Rare for me to see them do sales like say NRS or Cascade, but Kayak Academy is super customer service and they are authorized to repair Kokatat or do custom work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Paddling Suit

I've got a couple but like the "Angler" the best. Very tough but it's not a "true" drysuit - has neoprene neck versus latex. I've taken it for swims (intentional) and took it down 4 or 5 feet - very little water - maybe a tablespoon down the neck. It usually sells for around $600 - I've had mine for years and it's performed well in the GC and on the Middle Fork. Most of my rafting is in Alaska - it has held up well to tough conditions.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts