Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not completely boat related but I've scoured online and locally and have yet to find a chair I like. I'm 6'2 (read long femur :) so something with a deeper seat is preferred. That's not a problem....what has been difficult is finding something that is mostly mesh. My wife and kids have these from REI:

REI Camp X Chair at REI.com

Awesome chair, comfortable (for them), dries quickly, folds easily and is very sturdy.

But I was hoping to find it in a larger size. This one is the right size but it's all canvas and once soaked takes a while to dry:

REI Camp Xtra Chair - Free Shipping at REI.com

Anyone happen to find a chair they like, folds compactly, dries quickly and is deeper than the "standard" camp chair?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ironman,

I have been through quite a few chairs recently. I can't deal with the lack of comfort form the standard slings that you provided links to. They kill my back from making me sit in a slouching posture due to how your ass sags in them.

I had a GCI recliner that was decent but it didn't even last a summer season before it was broken. It was also rather large to pack.

I recently acquired a Helinox Chair One and completely dig it. It is super compact, lightweight packs down to practically nothing compared to it's sling counterparts. You can fit it in a dry box, dry bag, etc. so you will never need to hold your chair over the fire after a day of running rapids. I am 6' and it is damn comfortable...comfortable enough to watch the Hobbit in the chair in my living room and never feel the need to sit on my couch...seriously. The only challenge with it is that the legs are pointy so it can sink into deep sand. I fixed this issue by cutting holes in 4 tennis balls and sticking them on the ends and joule no more sinking int the sand. And with the tennis balls I can still fit the chair in it's carrying case.

Worth checking out at your local mtn. sports store...and a Colorado company to boot!

Good luck in your search!

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Helinox/chaironeblack

·
Registered
984 Posts
We had a few of the big Agnes chairs on a recent GC trip. The group pretty much agreed they were great backpacking or minimalist chairs, and that overall, we would prefer something a little bigger and more stable. They are a slight pita to set up and take down with all the bungee joints. But since we are rafting, not backpacking, this isn't the best choice.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm - the other thing I liked from the sling chairs was a place to put my drink down. Maybe I just need to rig something up because not having this requirement opens the options up quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've never found a "sling style" chair I've liked over the years. The sinking butt, pinched legs, and frequent blow-outs were too much to take. Three years ago I found the Lafuma Champs Elips and love it. No, it doesn't collapse up for packing like those sling chairs, but it does fold flat & weighs next to nothing. I have found it very easy to stow on top of my gear load. For such a light weight chair, it's super sturdy and very comfy. It also reclines for napping. Not cheap, but after three years it's in near perfect condition. It also comes in a low version.
ShopLafuma.comÂ*:Â*Cham Elips Mesh Aluminum Folding Chair - Ocean Cham Elips Aluminum Folding Chair

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Not sure how deep a standard chair is, but I'm also 6'2" and find the mesh Travelchair Teddy to fit me well, Teddy Model 579V
They also have an aluminum version for more $$.
Thanks for the Travelchair link. It got me looking around on their site and I stumbled upon the Joey chair. I've been trying to find a comfy chair that packs small enough to fit in the hatch on my touring kayak. With a bad knee, the low riders are hell to get in & out of. The Joey is similar to the smaller ones, but has a full chair height, and packs into a 14X4X4 case. I'll post a review when I get it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the Travelchair link. It got me looking around on their site and I stumbled upon the Joey chair. I've been trying to find a comfy chair that packs small enough to fit in the hatch on my touring kayak. With a bad knee, the low riders are hell to get in & out of. The Joey is similar to the smaller ones, but has a full chair height, and packs into a 14X4X4 case. I'll post a review when I get it.
Did you ever give the Joey a trial run?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Did you ever give the Joey a trial run?
Yes, and it worked well. While it's not as comfortable as my Lafuma, it was fine for use as a kayak touring chair. The height it much better than the others I've looked at with similar designs (REI, Big Agnes Heliox). It's easy to set-up, and the height was very easy to get in and out of with a bum knee. Some friends had the Heliox chairs on a recent trip. They have a little wider seat, but a slightly shorter height. Nice chairs, but a little too low for me. The only negative with these chairs is the skinny legs/little feet. They are strong, and you can lean back in them, but they tend to sink in sand or soft dirt. Another friend made removable pvc cross supports to help with that problem. I made some and they worked ok, but not perfect. Here are some pictures of the chair, showing packed size, chair height, and the pvc leg supports.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, and it worked well. While it's not as comfortable as my Lafuma, it was fine for use as a kayak touring chair. ...They are strong, and you can lean back in them, but they tend to sink in sand or soft dirt. Another friend made removable pvc cross supports to help with that problem. I made some and they worked ok, but not perfect.
Thanks, looks like it may also be better than a traditional chair for star gazing.
I can see how the legs would sink deep easily in sand and the pvc looks like a good mitigation.
If I go with one I might play around with flat feet pads or something like that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
FYI, TravelChair has a new bigger version of the Joey coming out for next year as well as a larger model with arm rests (looks kinda goofy, but seems functional). They also have new feet that don't sink as much in the sand.

I've had the Joey for a while and it is a nice chair, but at 6'2 I'm gonna get the bigger one. I also found that the Joey made my legs fall asleep after sitting in it for long periods of time.

I also have the TravelChair Big Kahuna, and while its pretty heavy and bulky, its the most comfy and durable chair I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
it's interesting that I would see your post right now. I was having the same problem, and looking for a good rafting chair for tall people. I'm 6 foot 1 inch and my requirements were lightweight, tough and roll up into a cylinder style chair. my favorite is the anti gravity folding chair, but they fold up flat, so it doesn't pack well on the raft. I was at Costco yesterday and found the best chairs yet for me. they were much taller than any I've ever tried, and they didn't let me sink into them. And the weight rating was 350 pounds. they didn't have a brand on them, but the label says Jarden TLG8 oversized high back chair. if you have a Costco near you you may want to see if they have any. I think they are mostly a collegiate branded item.I was shocked at how light weight they are, but they are the padded canvas type. Hope that helps at all

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started the thread and I can tell you what I wound up with. I bought an ALPS Mountaineering Mesh Getaway chair (actually bought two of them). They have been awesome. They put you in a bit more relaxed position but they offer the following benefits:

• Cost - picked mine up for $29/each shipped
  • Mesh - they are full mesh and dry quickly
  • Nap - for a 6'2" person, the top of the chair allows me to put my head back and be fully supported for the all-important nap.
  • Fully fold-able
  • Nice gauge frame & reinforced seams with good construction
  • Cup holder and cooler pocket - I use the cooler pocket for nalgene or larger bottles.
Anyway - seems like a lot of places are out of stock now but I've been

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
I ended my quest this year when I found this: Fireside Chair | Browning Camping.

It met most of my (and your) criteria. It fits a larger person, packs down reasonably, has a mesh seat, AND REAL ARMRESTS! It is longer than the standard sling arm chairs so it doesn't fit in my drybox. It is a little heavier and bulkier but I was willing to make those sacrifices. The cupholder is worthless but I bring my day cooler to camp and it serves as a nice side table. My favorite features of this chair are the high back which supports my head and the rigid armrests.

It is manufactured by MAC Sports for Browning but I haven't found it available under any other name.

Oops, I see now that you found something already. Hope it will help someone else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts