Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 15 years, the floor lacing on the Super Puma finally gave out. It was on the way out anyway so I ordered the rope last year, but never got around to doing it. I think it was after our mission yesterday and I never bled any of the chambers. I have watched a few videos from Aire and searched the interwebs, but wanted to know if anybody else has done it and if you know of any tricks or tips that might help me out.

·
Shapp
1,849 Posts
Once you have the line, melt and dress the end so it is tapered. Heat up about a 4 inch long section of the end you intend to thread after you have dressed the end. Heat it up just enough to make it somewhat rigid. start in the middle. Follow the lacing pattern that existed before you took the old rope out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Soak the rope in warm water and 303 mixture helps make it easier to lace the floor. Use a torch and keep flame away you want the rope to shrink a bit so like a pencil, creates a needle, you cut that stuff off anyways.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Would this work?

What if you melted, taped or otherwise fastened the new cord to the old one and pulled it through?

I have been putting off re-lacing my floor for several years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FWIW, If I were to re-do my Aire boats again, I would consider lacing in some stainless "O" rings strategically around the perimeter. It would be nice to have places to easily run cam straps through for rigging gear, at least on my Puma it is nearly impossible to run a cam strap through the lacing when inflated.

Good luck with the project!
Guy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Removable chain links

Instead of lacing some rings in, just attach some removable chain links. Get them at the hardware store.

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aire has a video out there detailing how to lace the floor
That is the video I watched and referenced in my OP. I asked because I knew that other people on this board have done it before and have some great out of the box ideas, like wearing nitrile garden gloves or using steel rings.

Instead of lacing some rings in, just attach some removable chain links. Get them at the hardware store.
This is what I have been doing for years. Split rings. As of now though, I may just do the solid rings in a few places as I HAVE to re lace the floor. It was the thwart strap(s) that rubbed the rope through, so having a few o rings in the thwart locations would make it easier to lace in the thwarts when transitioning from oar rig to paddle boat with less stress on the rope.

The big question, is where the hell in the garage did I stash the rope. I know its there, but the disaster area is not find it friendly right now.

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the rope the middle of last week. I had also ordered 18 Strapworks 1 in Stainless Steel O Rings.

Total time was about 4 hours. First step was to mark my long term thwart locations using a sharpie on the bottom of the boat. I them marked 6 places that I like to tie stuff down to the floor. These marks were so that I would know where I wanted to put the O rings. I found the middle of the 2 ropes and marked them as per the video. Next was to blow torch the rope into a "rat tail". Make sure that you do this before you wet the rope. I wore nitrle garden gloves and soaked the ropes in dish soap and water. I then strung the boat by cutting about 2 ft of the old rope out as I ran the new rope through (repeat). I had started with an inflated floor, but soon realized that a flat floor is needed to properly tension the rope.

I am really liking the O rings and would recommend to anybody that has to relace a floor. It used to take me about an hour to lace in the thwarts. Took me all of 10 minutes with the new O rings. The 6 other locations are great for tying in the cooler, watershed, etc. I wish that I had done about 4 more locations. I can and will continue to use the split rings in locations that may move, but the ease of having the new rings in place makes rigging that much easier and faster.

Next steps will be to pull and service the prv.

·
Registered
711 Posts
When I relaced my Hyside floor a few years ago I had needle nose pliers that helped a lot. And, a picture of the floor from before removing the old straps that held it on.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I just did it a few nights ago with my first ever "round" boat. I followed the video exactly and all of the tips worked great. I wasn't as smooth as Sheena but I got through it. I scavenged my "abandoned" climbing bag and put a bunch of biners in the lace. That works great too I think. Time will tell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you don't like re-lacing your floor, but want tie down or thwart loops to make strapping easy, just use water knots to make a small loop. On my 143d, I use about 12 of these in the floor for thwarts, Gear straps, and my pacific river bag.

22"-24" tubular webbing per loop is what I recall needing.

These are also great for clipping water bottles or other gear to the frame with carabiners...of course a standard strap will work but who wants the metal for these.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts