Mountain Buzz banner

Kill the Rattlesnake or Let It Go

Rattlesnakes; Kill or Let Live

32K views 122 replies 61 participants last post by  swimteam101 
#1 ·
In a recent thread someone posted they had scratched a MFS camp off their list of camps due to a snake lying on the trail to the groover. The snake was destroyed in favor of the people in the camp. My personal feeling is move the groover, find another camp, whatever, let the snake go about his business.

Snakes are really cool organisms when you consider what they are all about and they hang out where there is a ready food source. Sloppy camp manners, dropping food scraps and garbage onto the ground attracts mice and rats into river camps inviting a hungry snake come around looking for an easy meal.

What's the feeling of the buzzard crew about the question of kill or not?

Discussion starter · #96 ·
I am going far and wide with on this one. Recalling all the snake stories I have heard, some of them include killing the devil incarnate. Not once did anyone say, "Geez, that snake sure was hard to kill". Really, some of you non-female 15 percenters carry a gun just for snake protection? Must be a he-man thing. I would guess a large rock would be as efficient for killing even the largest snake and one could then load up with real bullets for more dangerous quarry like those "stand-your-ground" fuckers or the extreme 2nd amendment wack-jobs or perhaps even saving some for those jihadi pricks when they eventually decide to invade our wilderness.

To the rattlesnakes credit: They are found only in the Americas with 36 distinct species. 13 species are located in Arizona making my home state a place where one better damn sure keep an eye peeled when out for a walk. It has been my experience to encounter the Mojave most frequently. Their venom is the most toxic of all the rattlesnakes. Western Diamondbacks come in a close second in regards to my encounters with snakes. They are responsible for the most deaths due to snakebite.

The statistics for snakebite prove the chances of being bitten are quite small. Almost so small that it is a non-issue. When a snake bite occurs, it is usually attributed to stupidity. Hospital records point out 90% of snakebite victims are white males under 25 years and most of these heros had been drinking PBR and playing with the critter.

Snakes do not discriminate when it comes to us humans. They just want to stay the fuck away from us and they have the tools to let us know they mean business. I still say let em live.

Discussion starter · #107 ·
So when in bear country bring a dog and when in snake country bring a pig! Got it.
Actually, your dog, properly graduated from snake avoidance training is hands down the best method of finding snakes. Fido can smell the buggers from an amazing distance and can even be trained to point them out. Hogs, while possessing a marvelous sense of smell are generally too damn independent to care much about want we want them to do for us, they might make great bear bait however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.