Mountain Buzz banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I once had the opportunity to assist a Tag-a-long group i was supposed to run the big drops with, right an 'A' rig that had gotten slapped around by a rogue wave in the North Sea at 78k. 3 boats worth of their crew & passengers, my swamper and me, plus a motor rig in the river pulling the other direction.... only took us about 3 hours after removing the weight we could get to. .... then we got to run the big drops alone late in the afternoon while they regrouped.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have you ever popped a tube and had to repair on river? I'll bet that material is very thick a tough to work with.
Just like throwing a patch on anything else while on the river, the size of the boat doesn't change the technique. I have gotten away with putting patch material over a hole the size of a dime and holding it in place with a cam strap, then re-inflating the tube. held air for a week without a top off.

Is there a way to lift/tilt the prop out of the water when you think you're getting shallow or are they fixed mount?
Commercially we always had fixed transoms, the technique was to grab the motor and pivot it out of danger when necessary. You always have a spare and you learn how to rebuild a lower unit.

Have you ever flipped one? I imagine they would be a nightmare to try to right.
We would practice it in the yard but never had to do it on the water. They are pretty stable boats, especially when outfitted with the dick tubes. I have seen pictures of Georgia White trips with flipped G rigs, talk about a mess

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yardsells do you know anyplace to pick up a dependable mariner 30? I currently have a solid set of Tohatsu 30 4-strokes but I'd like to get a mariner 30 for big water in Cat bc nothing runs under water like a mariner.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Two river guides, diving in the river for the same quarter with their life jackets on, run under the water better than a mariner, during a slow tip season.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Yardsells do you know anyplace to pick up a dependable mariner 30? I currently have a solid set of Tohatsu 30 4-strokes but I'd like to get a mariner 30 for big water in Cat bc nothing runs under water like a mariner.
No. I know a bunch of folks than own them but none getting rid of any.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey motor heads I'm in need of advice. I'm supposed to run my rig in deso 3rd week of July. What's the lowest any of you have motored it? To be specific I'm not asking about getting through the first 25, I'm talking about taking a motorrig through the whole canyon.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't know how big a rig your pushing, if it's an S-rig leave the out-riggers home or a J-rig will be good. I've always had a Jack-Ass to attach the motor to, so I could always raise and low the motor as needed. That time of year it can get slow and low, for sure your going to hang up in the mud off and on. Keep you life jacket on and your bow line within arm's reach when you jump in to the river to slide your boat off, because when you jump into the mud you will sink up to your knees slowly and when you push your raft off it will float away leaving you stuck in the 4 way mud with your 2 way ankles like quick sand, but if you have your bow line within easy reach you won't lose your boat while your trying to free yourself. With your life jack on, you can lean back into the water after freeing one leg and than free the next leg to float out of the mud hell to get back into your boat. That doesn't always happen but if it does you will be ready. Nothing worse than being stuck in the mud watching your raft floating away without you and having to swim a couple hundred yards with no life jacket on to catch your raft, while you were running sweep. Other than those tips you should be fine. Have a nice trip.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
lowest ive run the snout is 10k.
lowest ive run 16' little boat with 5hp is 6500. Constantly on tilt or jackass. Setup early, get into tongue, pull motor.

What raymo say too. especially with big rig.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,425 Posts
When I was young a buddy and I took a snout in at 2k. We ended up switching off rowing the snout for 90% of it as we were worried about the motor. It was a brand new Honda 20 that his dad had just bought and sent us off with. We didn't have a jackass that allowed shallow enough drive; not sure there was one, LOL. It would have to allow the motor to push the raft with the prop half out. Wasn't my most fun rowing experience as I was all of a buck forty in those days. Lots of dragging and pissing and moaning. Youth has its advantages. I've got to imagine I would want at least 4 if not 5k to be talked into motoring it again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
While this doesn't apply to snouts/S-rigs, for future reference of people searching, I've run Desolation Canyon in a heavily loaded 16' Boat at +-/1800 CFS. Day 1 was spent managing sandbars with a heavily loaded 14' Cat strapped to my bow and crushing beers... only other tight spots were near dripping springs and taking the wrong channel near range creek. YMMV

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Low water Desolation/Grey.

While this doesn't apply to snouts/S-rigs, for future reference of people searching, I've run Desolation Canyon in a heavily loaded 16' Boat at +-/1800 CFS. Day 1 was spent managing sandbars with a heavily loaded 14' Cat strapped to my bow and crushing beers... only other tight spots were near dripping springs and taking the wrong channel near range creek. YMMV
Low water Deso is very doable, I agree. It's still a very beautiful canyon at any water level you float it at. Alot more bumping and grinding for sure, in different stretches of the river during lower water. We figured he was speaking of running a J-rig or large pontoon raft because he posted on this particular posting. We ran the large rigs because that's just the way we rowed, a large cargo boat carrying all the cook boxes, grill boxes, water jugs, coolers and passengers bags, while the passengers played in the paddle boats. Low water running and navigating the river was just our job, no matter the size of the boat, that we were expected to perform, not to mention the fantastic pay! At Sand Wash we use to fill up our water jugs there all the time, the glowing hands and feet at night, we just chalked it up to, too many beers and left handed cigarettes, before the sigh was up, water not suitable for drinking. Besides, what possibly could go wrong.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts