Mountain Buzz banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Aired her up today. Appears to mostly hold air. We'll see how it looks in the morning. Tubes are a bit rough and frame has numerous cracks. Frame goes to get stripped tomorrow so I can begin to address the bad welds.
Confident that I finish first in any ugly boat contest.
Weld up the cracks, add some gussets, slap on a coat of paint and smash some high water Cat.

I'd rock the piss out of that boat with a big floppy hat and mai tai.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Weld up the cracks, add some gussets, slap on a coat of paint and smash some high water Cat.

I'd rock the piss out of that boat with a big floppy hat and mai tai.

That is exactly the plan. May 31st launch. Any motors care to join? Or oars for that matter. Planning 6 days.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Those look like surplus to me and not DIB tubes as the Craiglist post said. Still, helluva score and I think I'm totally jealous!!

Aired her up today. Appears to mostly hold air. We'll see how it looks in the morning. Tubes are a bit rough and frame has numerous cracks. Frame goes to get stripped tomorrow so I can begin to address the bad welds.
Confident that I finish first in any ugly boat contest.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
That is exactly the plan. May 31st launch. Any motors care to join? Or oars for that matter. Planning 6 days.
I'd love to but I'm taking out of Cat on the 29th and then have a Grand launch 2 weeks later. I'd be cutting it too close for my wife's comfort level...:wink:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I'm a proud owner of a 27' pontoon.... working on some snout tubes for big Cats. If my middle fork trip doesn't go off in June bc of high water I'll be diverting to Cat bc 80k there doesn't scare me like 7ft on the middle fork.
Throw some sweeps on that 27 and get nasty on the fork!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I rowed several yampas on a 27 commercially.... they were different beasts though... we called them 'spider boats' as they were much lighter than the 27's we motored. Even raced the holiday boys on island park.... a race I'd easily win unless the wind got over 2 mph.

·
Registered
193 Posts
how do you motor guys resist the temptation to zoom ahead of the honest folks on oar trips and steal their prime campsites they rowed hard all day for? just askin for a friend...

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are a few scoundrels that do that in the GC I'm sure but the 2x I've motored the GC we were on hybrid trips and always communicated with the groups around us so camps weren't a problem. Cat is a lot different animal.... if you are down there without a motor of some kind you need your head examined and deserve to be aced out of a camp. Lol

Btw.... check out "Grand Canyon red white and blue" on YouTube, it's a video of my buddy and i motoring Crystal. Cavitation caused me to miss the cut and i put the ladies right in the bowels of the nail.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
how do you motor guys resist the temptation to zoom ahead of the honest folks on oar trips and steal their prime campsites they rowed hard all day for? just askin for a friend...
#1. Generally just because folks have a motor, doesn't mean they're dicks. Although just like row boats, there are dicks out there. I wouldn't cut in front of your friend in a line at the grocery store and I hate being the guy who gets angry at the "late merge" folks in traffic but I do.

#2. Since we do wield tremendous power, we prioritize working with human powered trips. I also row/paddle. I have a Pro, Adventurer, and a Scout. I understand the perception of some row boaters and I empathize. Our motor group will slowly approach the last boat in a pod and ask if we can play through, generally discuss how their trip is going and talk about their camp plans and mileage hopes. Since our motor group are also row people, we strategize the least invasive way to pass the trip and execute in the most efficient manner. Once we're past the pod a reasonable distance, we barge up and discuss intel from the group we just passed and whether we need to modify our camp plans.

#3. It's funny how your friend's perception is that row boaters are honest and motor folks are not. I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience with a river motor person but rest assured, we're not all like that.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
#1. Generally just because folks have a motor, doesn't mean they're dicks. Although just like row boats, there are dicks out there. I wouldn't cut in front of your friend in a line at the grocery store and I hate being the guy who gets angry at the "late merge" folks in traffic but I do.

I'm a motor guy, but not a WW motor guy. Can't say how much I appreciate this thread and everything you've all shared, from technique, to video, to ethics.

If I'm lucky enough to get on the Grand, I'll be in a dory.

If I ever see you on the river, beer's on me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My buddy is Brent. .... every freaking body knows him.... some day he'll be in books and talked about along with powel, kolb, georgie. Lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
Funny thing, I was devout oars only a mere 6 years ago. In fact, I donated to those anti-motor non-profits. I accidentally discovered the motor world. I will say that the motor-heads and associates are some of the best river folk I've met and ran with.

More than not, motor rigs are ran by very experienced rivermen and riverwomen that have years and years of running rivers coupled with great river etiquette and stories.

When I pass row trips, I sometimes offer crisp cold beverages as a token of appreciation. After all, I have 400+beers!

We always ask them where they are heading to and navigate according to their destination.

Motor rigs suck out of water but are heaven on.

tda

·
Registered
662 Posts
That video was awesome!

I have questions:

How many days do you take for a grand trip?

How much gas are you using, and how do you store it?

Have you ever popped a tube and had to repair on river? I'll bet that material is very thick a tough to work with.

Is there a way to lift/tilt the prop out of the water when you think you're getting shallow or are they fixed mount?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
How many days do you take for a grand trip?
When we're strictly motor boats, we can take up to 12 days to Diamond.
If we're support and qualify for Hybrid status, we can take up to 14 days to Diamond.

How much gas are you using, and how do you store it?
I typically carry 35 gallons in my fuel tank which in the video is located in front of me under my ammo cans and pelican. I can easily run Lee's to Pearce with 15-18 gallons to spare.

Have you ever popped a tube and had to repair on river? I'll bet that material is very thick a tough to work with.
I have not put a hole in my tubes. The neoprene fabric is pretty thick on these things. I've also encapsulated my tubes with System 6 so they're even more stiff than usual but definitely burly. I did have a valve boot crack and leak last year but I was able to limp it down the river, which is always plan A with these things...

Is there a way to lift/tilt the prop out of the water when you think you're getting shallow or are they fixed mount?
I run a manual jackass on my boat which allows me to raise the motor to varying depths without changing the angle. I have a couple buddies that don't run jackasses. I think that's the trend commercially too.
Jackasses seem to fall into the pin and clip vs. oar right type argument.

Have you ever flipped one? I imagine they would be a nightmare to try to right.
I have not flipped one in the wild. I've practice re-flipping it at home. I've seen pictures of them upside down and talked to folks that have had to deal with that situation. It isn't pretty.

I carry come-a-longs, mechanical advantage gear, Xanax and whisky just in case...:wink:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nice thinking.

Another question...

Have you ever flipped one? I imagine they would be a nightmare to try to right.
The standard rigging of 28 ft. to 33 ft. Pontoon boats in the day's was to have two wood frames made of 2x6's about 8 ft to 10 ft long, layed on top of the pontoon's and a four section plywood floor, with hinges along each section of the floor and suspended by chain's from the frame's to hold the floor half way up the tubes. The story I was told about two week after it happened was Outward Bound flipped a 33 footer, without outriggers in Warm Spring rapid. To flip it back over they removed the four section plywood floor and unloaded the cargo from the bottom of the boat, deflated one side of the boat halfway and flipped it back over. Nice thinking on their part. Whiskey was probably on the dinner menu that night for sure.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quite a while ago, my friend that bought an 18’ Shoshone, told me that he was going to write the word “ Fuck” on the bottom of the boat, because “ if this boat is upside down, FUCK!”

With a snout, J, or S, I can only imagine!!!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts