Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

For me, the sweet spot was 20 foot 36 inch Jack's Plastic El Tigre Grande tubes, with a frame I worked up myself with NRS fittings.

Rowed or motored nicely, as these Lava pictures show. Loved that boat, but I'm a bit past my prime now, and it is in someone else's good hands.

I admit freely, however, to lusting a little over that rig in Flag...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice shots in Lava!

Has anyone seen the rig in Flag that is for sale??? I emailed and asked for more pics, but never heard back - we are trying to grow our snout squad. If it is a legit frame and tubes for $2500, that’s a great deal. But if the tubes are anything like our original tubes they might be worthless. Our original tubes were so old and required daily topping off, sometimes mid day topping off. We got lucky and scored a still crated set of tubes by a chance run in on a Cat trip. But even if that rig is crap tubes and a decent frame - might be worth it for just the frame.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

Would be a little light for a 22 foot full snout, but a converted regular boat trailer worked well for my intermediate sized rig.

Removed the tilt arms, put in some crossbraces, and then added longitudinal carpeted platforms on either side for the tubes to rest on.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Move the valves to the other side of the tube. I’m moving mine in a couple weeks. I’m sure somebody has photos of there’s moved. I have been more freaked out on the valves shearing than any of the rapids or rock dodging I’ve done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just closed the deal on the flagstaff.craigslist boat. Driving to Page for pickup later this week. Will post some photos when I get her back to the shop. Look forward to hanging with some motor people.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
For me, the sweet spot was 20 foot 36 inch Jack's Plastic El Tigre Grande tubes, with a frame I worked up myself with NRS fittings.

Rowed or motored nicely, as these Lava pictures show. Loved that boat, but I'm a bit past my prime now, and it is in someone else's good hands.

Cool "dualsport" rig!!

Just closed the deal on the flagstaff.craigslist boat. Driving to Page for pickup later this week. Will post some photos when I get her back to the shop. Look forward to hanging with some motor people.

This crew is apparently a buncha enablers!

I am specifically curious about what trailers everyone is running and what your frame setups are. I love thinking and planning and dreaming of frame setups, is that weird? ;)

Our setup was inherited and we’ve been working to improve it, but my least favorite part is the trailer. I think it is a legit trailer park trailer house trailer and is horrible. But it works for now and it’s what we’ve got. I dream of a better built trailer that we could have an easier time loading and unloading the boat.

How about a pontoon boat trailer?

Trailer house axles/wheels/brakes are awful. They're designed to make a single 1,000 mile trip and then get scrapped. Bad bearings that are uncommon sizes, uncommon 14.5" tires, strange wheels with Dayton hubs. Simply installing new axles with common brakes/wheels would be a significant upgrade...but a good deal on a used pontoon trailer would probably be a better investment.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Nice!!!

Excellent! I don't think we can wait till you get her back to your shop. Snap some photos in Page AZ and post them up here on the Buzz. We're so bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Move the valves to the other side of the tube. I’m moving mine in a couple weeks. I’m sure somebody has photos of there’s moved. I have been more freaked out on the valves shearing than any of the rapids or rock dodging I’ve done.
😲 Moving the valves! Genius! I never even thought about that! Now I’d love to hear who’s done it, how hard it was and if they had any problems relocating them. And of course pics are always a bonus!

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about a pontoon boat trailer?

Trailer house axles/wheels/brakes are awful. They're designed to make a single 1,000 mile trip and then get scrapped. Bad bearings that are uncommon sizes, uncommon 14.5" tires, strange wheels with Dayton hubs. Simply installing new axles with common brakes/wheels would be a significant upgrade...but a good deal on a used pontoon trailer would probably be a better investment.
Yes, that’s what I’ve been leaning towards - a pontoon boat trailer, but I was curious if anyone else is running them. Oh my, yes - we’ve had our share of the above listed problems. Had our bearings burn up on one trip - removed the wheel and strapped up the axel - thankful we alteast have dual axels. The wheels are the weirdest wheels I’ve ever seen. As we are dealing with motor issues amidst our prep for a Grand trip, we had to make the decision to refurb our current trailer, but I still like to research and see what some other options might be.

I took my share of screenshots from yardsells YT video trying to identify their trailers and scoping out their frame setups - figured I’d post the question here instead of trying to play YT screenshot detective. 😝

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So moving the valves is the way to go. No more stress of busting a valve.
Most of us surplus folks have frames that accommodate the right tube valves on the inside. I moved mine when the tubes were still in the raw.
Originally moved the valve location and installed mirada research valves with recessed boots. That lasted maybe 4 or 5 years and just recently I swapped the miradas for C-7's. Way happier now.

Here's a couple pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My snout trailer is a 20 ft deck over flatbed. I just welded a winch post on the nose, attached a 12k lb electric winch and built a couple 8" rollers for the back. Works great.

The S rig trailer is a salvaged travel trailer. We stripped everything off the deck, the frame was bent so we straightened it and boxed the I-beam frame to beef it up. We added a 12k lb electric winch and no rollers. We figure the end of the trailer will be under water anyway, We did add a snatch block mounting spot on the rear to help drag the boat off the trailer at spots without a boat ramp. Like Ouray.

My buddies steve and lloyd use pontoon boat trailers. I don't remember where Steve got his but Lloyd's was picked up in Dallas. Tons of toons in Texas.
I kinda like their setups because they're a lot lower to the water and therefore easier to load and unload. I work around that with the electric winches. I just drag the dang things onto the trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes! Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for - thanks for all the info! Did you do the valve swap yourself or take it to the professionals? If professionals, who would you recommend? I like the idea of C-7’s!

Good point about Texas - I will have to start looking there to see what I can find for a used pontoon trailer. Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I did it myself but I used to do this stuff for a living.

I can't speak for any other repair guys out there but I do know that Inflatable Technologies works on a ton of these big boats and does the maintenance on a lot of commercial company rigs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hi,

Did you used to run a tohatsu 18 on her? I swear I've salivated over that thing somewhere.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi yardsells,

Yup, grey Tohatsu 18 with a Nissan 9.9 strapped down for a spare.

Here it is being pulled on a turnaround run in Dubendorf. I had seen Hance deliberately motored backward, and thought I'd try it for fun, but somewhere not quite as long and complicated.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hi yardsells,

Yup, grey Tohatsu 18 with a Nissan 9.9 strapped down for a spare.

Here it is being pulled on a turnaround run in Dubendorf. I had seen Hance deliberately motored backward, and thought I'd try it for fun, but somewhere not quite as long and complicated.

Rich
That dang dubendorf is kinda my nemesis. I blew up a lower unit in there last year. I clipped that table rock just under the surface kinda left of center toward the bottom. I thought I had enough clearance... my buddy steve ran a nearly identical line to me but he cleared that bugger.

Yeah, I've seen your rig and thought "they clearly know what they're doing."

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi yardsells,

You're too kind. Every run there was a challenge to an old codger like me.

But I confess, it sure was fun. I enjoyed rowing it for its stability and predictable tracking, but a rig in that size range with a decent motor is pretty frisky and nimble, so it was sort of easy to maneuver out of pending doom.

Have a good one.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Aired her up today. Appears to mostly hold air. We'll see how it looks in the morning. Tubes are a bit rough and frame has numerous cracks. Frame goes to get stripped tomorrow so I can begin to address the bad welds.
Confident that I finish first in any ugly boat contest.

IMG_5842.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's our trip vid from the Grand last year. Kinda long.

We're hoping to add more motor folks to our trips. I know you're out there.

Raymo: Memorial day Cat?!?! Sounds like Yeager will be there too. He's looking forward to seeing you again and catching up. Our S is almost done...

https://youtu.be/AZAjKBosGRM
I'm a proud owner of a 27' pontoon.... working on some snout tubes for big Cats. If my middle fork trip doesn't go off in June bc of high water I'll be diverting to Cat bc 80k there doesn't scare me like 7ft on the middle fork.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts