Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
what are all the cross bars for? Structural support or are those giant removable tables??? Or structural supports topped with removable tables? At 0:22 it looks like you've got full size 8x4 banquet tables ready to roll. Impressive setup!
They're removable counter height tables that double as decks under way. We figured why not double duty those babies. They're kinda crude emt tubing but for the money, hard to beat.
That "banquet" table is actually just 24"x72" low table we use for dish washing. We did steal the legs of an old folding table we found in a dumpster...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What's the strategy here?

Rich Phillips
Laziness... The 16" gap between the 2 frames is technically the "hinge".The perpendicular tube is called a crush tube which as it's name implies, keeps folks from getting crushed in the gap between the frames.
I picked up a crusty military roller tube, found an old leaky aircell, patched the aircell, threw zippers on the crush tube to facilitate the aircell install and that was about all the energy I had left. I figure it's length will work for now and if too many passengers complain, I'll consider cutting it down a little... Later.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like it!

Looking forward to seeing it fully rigged out

Do you plan to run the Dick tubes all the time or just in flows above 80k?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Do you plan to run the Dick tubes all the time or just in flows above 80k?
I suppose we'll run em whenever they'll benefit the rig. I think part of the beauty of the S is the outrigger tubes. It's like al a carte. We can run them when we feel like it or maybe even remove them, throw some oar towers on and row her like Raymo used to in the day. I'd like to become a member of that club.

But first, I wanna smash huge waves with 12 of my closest non-motorized buddies sitting on top of 1 thousand pounds of cocktail ice, 2 inch thick Ribeyes, and my favorite Speyside.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Love it, having a motor rig for support can make certain trips great!

assuming that's a surplus 33? that would be a handful to row. Rowed a 27 once and it was a chore.

Was a commercial motorman on the upper CO and green years ago myself so it's neat to see some privates with the combustion oar

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
yardsells...." throw some oar towers on and row her like Raymo use to in the day." .... Ya, with a nasty hangover and another divorce, not a pretty sight, but exciting. Nice build up on that S-Rig, great river day's ahead for sure.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Well. Here's a video clip. A little dramatic but... hey, it's a big freaking boat.

https://youtu.be/TRncyeEy7sQ

Deee-e-cent!

Urethane or hypalon coating for the white?
No issues TIG welding over the rubber?

That's awesome. Serious rig.

Agree with teh other posters, great skill on the motor, too. Really appreciate the quickness with which you T'ed up to the big waves in Lava.

And also appreciate the quality of the edit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Urethane or hypalon coating for the white?
No issues TIG welding over the rubber?

The white is a prototype alkyd spray system I'm playing with for neoprene. It works shockingly well with little to no prep or adhesion promoters. The durability is in question but this is a great test bed. If it fails, I'll just remove it and coat it with a proven system.

The durability and flame resistance of the neoprene came in handy on numerous occasions. These surplus tubes are surprisingly bomber.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Nice, I use alkyd enamel hardener with Rustoleum in the gallon can to paint all my gear. Much thicker/harder than bomb cans. Are you seeing any durability issues, or you simply "don't know until you know"?

Not sure if I want to ask about the other occasions! haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Post up your snout rig - frame and trailer pics!

So I had no idea there were so many other snout owners and when I saw yardsells YT video it was awesome to see a whole group of you on one trip! We are not alone! ;)

This thread seems to be a safe place to discuss motor rigs (and I love the thread title), which in some groups you get lynched just for mentioning the “M” word - “Motors” - gasp! I’d love to see what kind of snout setups everyone is running. If there is already a thread showing off motor rigs and setups, please let me know. Otherwise - I’d love to see some pics here.

I am specifically curious about what trailers everyone is running and what your frame setups are. I love thinking and planning and dreaming of frame setups, is that weird? ;)

Our setup was inherited and we’ve been working to improve it, but my least favorite part is the trailer. I think it is a legit trailer park trailer house trailer and is horrible. But it works for now and it’s what we’ve got. I dream of a better built trailer that we could have an easier time loading and unloading the boat.

Our frame setup is decent, but the worst part is we’ve got the dreaded surplus tubes with the valves on the left side of the tube so our right tube has valves on the inside of the frame. We run with a constant fear of the tube shifting and valves shearing off.

I’m going to attempt to post some pics of our setup and I’d love to see what everyone else has. The water shot is just from a lake trip we just took to test out our motors and is not how we run the river, but just to give an idea of our rig.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 92 Posts