Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Back when I lived there I boated the stretch from mad creek down a lot. My family owned land downstream of Marabou so I actually had a legal way to take out without going all the way to the Yampa. Never saw or heard of anyone else doing it due to the takeout issues. Here's a rundown if you're curious though.

Put in at the Christina public fishing access about a mile up from mad creek. Gradient picks up just above mad creek and has fun wave trains for a half mile-ish. Below that, fishing improvements made by the most recent owners of the may ranch made some good small play. Below that it is super mellow, but Marabou's fishing improvements have made some good play waves, a few of which get really good above 5000 cfs. There are occasionally barbed wire fences and tons of downed cottonwoods throughout. Overall, the run isn't worth it below 2500-3000.

As far as issues with landowners, the Marabou people only ever waved at me and once even let me hike back up at one of their waves. However, there was always a guy who lived in a log house right on 129 about a mile or 2 below mad creek who would yell, harass, and threaten me every time I went past, once with a shotgun. And this guy wasn't some rancher either. He owned maybe a half an acre of river bottom at most. Don't know if he's still there though.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.