Mountain Buzz banner

Randaddy in Crawdad County

1756 Views 27 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  GeoRon
I've landed on the Gulf Coast for a couple months and thought you beaters and geezers (geatzers?) might have some insight on paddling the gulf coast region in the winter. I need to work off this good southern cookin' and would love to paddle a lazy river in a nature preserve in my duckie or even explore the islands off the coast?

Any advice on special spots, or on where my whitewater equipment wouldn't serve me well would be much appreciated! I really do see some pretty knowledgeable travelers on here from time to time, so let's hear it! Will the gators get me or what?

Food Arthropod Ingredient Recipe Seafood
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4,038 Posts
I've landed on the Gulf Coast for a couple months and thought you beaters and geezers (geatzers?) might have some insight on paddling the gulf coast region in the winter. I need to work off this good southern cookin' and would love to paddle a lazy river in a nature preserve in my duckie or even explore the islands off the coast?

Any advice on special spots, or on where my whitewater equipment wouldn't serve me well would be much appreciated! I really do see some pretty knowledgeable travelers on here from time to time, so let's hear it! Will the gators get me or what?

View attachment 84634
That is a nice looking platter of mud bugs.

I was down in Corpus Cristi a couple of weeks ago sea kayaking(Mustang and Padre Is). The real joy is the wildlife as mentioned by k2andcannnoli. I suggest binoculars and a waterproof folding field guide. Returned home this trip via Amistad Lake NRA on the Rio Grande. The Gulf coast/Rio Grande is a great place to begin your birding life list if interested.

Where are you at and it might be possible to make detailed suggestions? I'm not a Gulf coast expert but I do have most of the in print boating guide books.

· Registered
4,038 Posts
Screw the duckie!
Yes, the airboats are as obnoxious as the video portrays. Far worse than jet boats on the Salmon. They seem to intentionally not muffle their V8's and the propellers likely spin faster than the speed of sound causing a continuous sonic boom. You can hear them miles away. Worse yet, they don't slow down for anyone seeming to take joy in being assholes. On the flip side you at least know where the assholes are and when they are coming. I shouldn't be so hard on them. They are much less environmentally degrading than prop and jet boats. They tend not to destroy aquatic vegetation nor disturb the mud ecology in shallow areas.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Yes, the airboats are as obnoxious as the video portrays. Far worse than jet boats on the Salmon. They seem to intentionally not muffle there V8's and the propellers likely spin faster than the speed of sound causing a continuous sonic boom. You can hear them miles away. Worse yet, they don't slow down for anyone seeming to take joy in being assholes. On the flip side you at least know where the assholes are and when they are coming. I shouldn't be so hard on them. They are much less environmentally degrading than prop and jet boats. They tend not to destroy aquatic vegetation and disturb the mud ecology in shallow areas.

Nose Cheek Eyebrow Jaw Eyelash

• Haha
Reactions: MNichols and GeoRon

· Registered
4,038 Posts
Yes BSOE, I'm glad we share "that" feeling about them. Even when you can't see them they are deafening. It is really sad that these guys don't care to silence their presence. Instead, I saw one boat wearing noise canceling headphones(I assume they were NCH's).

Now turn your volume all the way up and watch the first video below and you'll understand what I mean. I assume the video ended because the guy dove for cover thinking that an airplane was about to clobber him.

Attachments

· Beginner
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a nice looking platter of mud bugs.

I was down in Corpus Cristi a couple of weeks ago sea kayaking(Mustang and Padre Is). The real joy is the wildlife as mentioned by k2andcannnoli. I suggest binoculars and a waterproof folding field guide. Returned home this trip via Amistad Lake NRA on the Rio Grande. The Gulf coast/Rio Grande is a great place to begin your birding life list if interested.

Where are you at and it might be possible to make detailed suggestions? I'm not a Gulf coast expert but I do have most of the in print boating guide books.
I'm in Ocean Spring, MS for the next two month! I'm definitely going to get a field guide and look for birds!

· Registered
4,038 Posts
I'm in Ocean Spring, MS for the next two month! I'm definitely going to get a field guide and look for birds!
Now how does someone end up in Ocean Springs MS for two months? Actually, none of my business. I almost thought I was going to spend some time at Stennis. The Naval Research Lab was buying a supercomputer and I got some code to benchmark dealing with acoustics, cavitation and waveform propagation. It obviously had to do with big submarine propellers. I got moved over to another benchmark and as I recall NRL bought a Cray, not our brand. My fundamental involvement was supercomputers in the earth and environmental sciences.

Looked at your area on Google Earth and there is a bunch of brown water and coastal boating around Ocean Springs.

Deer Island looks enticing as a multi-night paddle.

Theoutbound website has lots of kool ideas for boating in MS. And lots of pictures to wet the appetite.

If you go into the marshes or buyous a compass or gps is recommended. You can really get turned around in them.

· Registered
4,038 Posts
This one will cover your needs as a carry in the boat guide for birding. Quick, easy and waterproof.

This quick ref worked really well around Corpus Cristi and is very similar to the above guide, except for Whopping Crane.

· Beginner
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Beginner
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now how does someone end up in Ocean Springs MS for two months? Actually, none of my business. I almost thought I was going to spend some time at Stennis. The Naval Research Lab was buying a supercomputer and I got some code to benchmark dealing with acoustics, cavitation and wave propagation. It obviously had to do with big submarine propellers. I got moved over to another benchmark and as I recall NRL bought a Cray, not our brand. My fundamental involvement was supercomputers in the earth and environmental sciences.

Looked at your area on Google Earth and there is a bunch of brown water and coastal boating around Ocean Springs.

Theoutbound website has lots of kool ideas for boating in MS. And lots of pictures to wet the appetite.

If you go into the marshes or buyous a compass or gps is recommended. You can really get turned around in them.
I travel all the time! I have a friend who needed someone to watch her house for a couple months so here I am! Loving it so far!

· Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes BSOE, I'm glad we share "that" feeling about them. Even when you can't see them they are deafening. It is really sad that these guys don't care to silence their presence. Instead, I saw one boat wearing noise canceling headphones(I assume they were NCH's).

Now turn your volume all the way up and watch the first video below and you'll understand what I mean. I assume the video ended because the guy dove for cover thinking that an airplane was about to clobber him.

IDK much about those boats (my Florida family still makes fun of me for calling Uncles' a "fan boat") but I do know that the enormous v8 in my family's boat was in a constant attempt to sink the boat. Much like a plane without enough "go" you sank. The boat may be the most Florida thing I've ever seen.

· Registered
108 Posts
The clear springs in Florida's panhandle are really nice. The Rainbow river (I believe that name is correct) runs out of one of them and is a beautiful float. The Gulf Coast is a great area to visit outside of the summer, when it is viciously hot and humid and the mosquitos are in full effect. As you've already obviously found out, the food is fantastic.

· Registered
123 Posts
Now how does someone end up in Ocean Springs MS for two months? Actually, none of my business. I almost thought I was going to spend some time at Stennis. The Naval Research Lab was buying a supercomputer and I got some code to benchmark dealing with acoustics, cavitation and waveform propagation. It obviously had to do with big submarine propellers. I got moved over to another benchmark and as I recall NRL bought a Cray, not our brand. My fundamental involvement was supercomputers in the earth and environmental sciences.

Stay away from the Pearl river around Stennis space center! It’s a beautiful river but home to the Navy Special Warfare fighters and trust me .. even if you think you’re out there in the wilds alone your not, you’re being watched, day and night!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts