Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone bring a telescope along on their trips? I was thinking about bringing mine along this summer, but I am not sure how I should package it up to sit in my gear hump.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd look at a Pelican box if at all possible? Or in a dry box? Or padded the heck out of in a dry bag, I can't imagine silt/sand/water being friendly to a telescope. I'd pack it in the center of the pile with plenty of protection on all sides? Not sure on value or quality of telescope, but those would be my considerations depending on price/value. I've brought along my spotting scope, Nikon, 60mm objective, 15-40x, it's packed in a dry bag in a dry bag with clothes all around for padding. Tripod goes with chairs on gear pile.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pvc pipe, you can get it in all sizes. Glue end cap on one side an screw cap on other,pad inside as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wayne, that sounds like a great low cost solution, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've brought my 4 inch dobsonian scope on a couple trips, wrapped up in towels and pretty much took over my dry box. I can only do it if I have no group cooking responsibilities.

Remote canyons have dark skys but I find the narrow canyon walls and the disturbed hot air radiating from the ground really limit what you can observe. Don't bother unless Jupiter or Saturn are out.

I find it's more fun to do naked eye observing, using a green laser to point out constellations and tell stories from Mythology. People think you're a wizard if you look up when the space station will be passing overhead.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll occasionally take a Celestron 8X17 in a dry box well sealed. Takes some space but I ditch a dry bag by lining the dry box with as much bedding shit as I can wrap or fit in. Also required is a small power source, that fits as well. With the apps nowadays you can identify on a star chart on your fancy phone and the scope basically finds it for you. It's definitely not for everyone but you do get the chance to see some wicked stuff in the lightless sky. I avoid taking risks on rivers with some sort of possibility of filling the boat with water. Canyon rivers are bad for the whole ordeal.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Bubble wrapped, inside a pvc pipe with end cap, inside a water shed?

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Bubble wrapped inside a pvc pipe inside a water shed inside a dry box.
Ya I think a pvc pipe with padding inside could work just fine, pvc with an end cap is water proof for water.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice, I am thinking of bolting PVC pipe together, double barrel style. One side would fit the telescope, the other would fit the accessories. The whole thing gets capped and slides in a drybag. I have to be a little creative with the packaging as the telescope has an OD of 6", but the fixed eyepiece sits another 4". The other option I am think I might be able to make a rocket box work as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I made two of the PVC containers. They have a 6" diameter and are 48 and 54 inches in length. They have never leaked and are bomb proof because I used thick wall PVC. The only downside is they are not light, even empty.
The pipe was cheap, the four caps cost me $75 ( 2 permanent and 2 that have the male and female part to unscrew.)
I took a section of pipe and filled it with a bunch of weight then duct taped the ends closed and threw it around, dropped it off the roof of the house onto some boards etc. I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't break before I invested in the caps.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts