Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what courses you've taken or have under your belt? Which were your favourite or enlightened you the most? Are there any you highly recommend? Are there any particular instructors that you were impressed with that essentially made the course more enjoyable?

I'm planning on taking swift water rescue at some point, some first aid, and I'm always keen on seeing what rafting/navigation courses (along those lines) are out there...

·
Jared
733 Posts
I'd do both. The people I know who have boated for a while and have taken both, say wilderness first aid is more important. That said, you will learn much more than I did at a swiftwater rescue course. You will be a value to the people you boat with with those courses under your belt.
I plan on doing wilderness first aid in 2015

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Wilderness First Aid twice
Basic swift water rescue once - been awhile, need to update

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Whitewater Rescue Tech level 1 and Wilderness First Responder are both highly recommended. About 2 weeks total class time and $1,000 combined. So worth it! The classes are fun, highly informative, and connect you with other boaters and people that love the outdoors.

·
Registered
139 Posts
WFR, is a great class. As far as swift water goes, I took a swift water class in steamboat from CMC, it was taught by Dan. I really liked the class because it emphasized techniques on keeping you and your buddies alive, and not complicated rope techniques for body/boat recovery. I dont know if he is still teaching it, but it is worth looking in to.

·
Registered
338 Posts
WFR, is a great class. As far as swift water goes, I took a swift water class in steamboat from CMC, it was taught by Dan. I really liked the class because it emphasized techniques on keeping you and your buddies alive, and not complicated rope techniques for body/boat recovery. I dont know if he is still teaching it, but it is worth looking in to.
Sounds like a really good class- I think it is good to have exposure to the technical stuff, but you are correct that it is the other stuff that has the most bang for the buck in terms of safety. One thing that I think should be emphasized in river safety classes, as well as practiced regularly, is swimming rapids. You need to be able to maintain some semblance of composure when you're suddenly out of your boat, to facilitate and aid in your own rescue. The only way to do this, is to spend some (regular) time swimming rapids.

·
Registered
139 Posts
One thing that I think should be emphasized in river safety classes, as well as practiced regularly, is swimming rapids. You need to be able to maintain some semblance of composure when you're suddenly out of your boat, to facilitate and aid in your own rescue. The only way to do this, is to spend some (regular) time swimming rapids.
this is an excellent point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
An excellent point. We emphasize and practice self rescue techniques for swimming whitewater in all of the courses we offer using the philosophy of challenge by choice.

The hands on application of practical skills is of primary importance and emphasized throughout.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wyosam has nailed it. Being comfortable in rapids is in my opinion the most important element of SWR. I know this isn't going to be popular but save that $1000.00 and put it toward the boat you been dreaming of. Then go spend lots of time on the water. If you find some deep Rapids practice swimming in them. Being able to time your breathing and the like will come easy with practice. If later on you feel like taking a bunch of courses then do so. But really I think you should start with your boat.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts