Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy! I am in the market for a good rafting/kayaking watch that will track how many river miles I have travelled and my speed to help me better track where I am on the river and roughly how long it will take me to get to my next campsite.

Key Features I am looking for:
Durability
Long battery life
Ease of use (I don't want to have to read a novel to figure it out)

Any recommendations out there?

Cheers and happy travels,

Mateo

·
Registered
679 Posts
Maybe that sort of thing exists but the easier approach would be a GPS or there are many apps for your phone that can do the same sort of thing that are free.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'd check out the Garmin ones...specifically the Fenix series. They are backcountry oriented and have all the GPS bells and whistles. Not exactly friendly to a raft guide budget though... I think the cheapest one you can find is about $300 and its probably a refurbished one and a generation or two behind the newest ones (they start at $600 and go up from there). The older ones will probably do everything you need it to though but at the sacrifice of battery longevity and processing power and probably some features. I know you can do tracking stuff and I think it even has the ability to upload topo maps and waypoints onto it. I have a few friends that have them and seem to like them a lot. Its basically a connection to your smartphone that lives on your wrist too, so you can play music and check texts and all the stuff that most smartwatches do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use a Suunto which has a paddling mode. Gives me location and the rate we are floating/paddling. The benefit over a gps or phone app is that I can go for days without a charge. Probably the most important is my phone with the Gaia app with topo maps downloaded.

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
226 Posts
I use a Garmin 5X for everything, running, rafting, backpacking, etc. It is on the pricey side, but totally worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nthing the Garmin Fenix series. You don't need the current generation. But it's way more useful than a phone. Waterproof, plenty of battery life, and lets you know where you are on the water. With the rivermaps gpx files you can also see specific camps on a lot of the major rivers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been using an “amazfit gtr” for a bit now and I’m pretty impressed. It’s the least expensive of the standalone gps style watches, so it gives you the info you’re looking for, but won’t have the maps associated with it like the garmins. Gives me speed, miles and all that and the battery will last about 10 days using gps all the time. Longer if you only use it while you’re floating. In canyons the gps can have trouble connecting, but i think that comes with the territory

1 - 10 of 10 Posts