Mountain Buzz banner

rafting clear creek

Tags
rafting
3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  road runner 
#1 ·
i am going to try and take a 14 fotter and a strong crew down clear creek and was wondering what the best places for big rafts to take out and put in are....and what the water level has to be...I have read some info on the web but i thouhgt i could get better advice here...
thanks for the help.
ian

#2 ·
I R-1 a stinger quite abit on clear creek, your best option at this water level would be to put in at dumont and take out at kermits it is a fun class 3 run, and the river bed is narrow enough to channelize the water so it is deep enough this is also the run the commercials run on the most. If you are looking for something more the blackrock section is a great class 4-5 run but a 14er might be a bit tight depending on your skill level and the water level. If it rains some more and it comes up to around 400 you should be able to get down the black rock section but lower than that you will have some problems especially in between some of the rapids.

Danny

#3 ·
Would the run from Dumont to Kermits be good for a 14' oar rig and what's access like?

#4 ·
Access is great if you exit I-70 at Dumont and cross the highway then head back down river about 2 miles there is a sweet put in the commercials have made super nice it is big enough for them to pull buses in and the the take out just below kermits is easy and roomy as well. As far as the oar rig goes it wouldn't be my first choice mainly do to the shallowness of the river but you could do it.

The best thing about this run is if you live and work in denver you can go do this run after work. There is something really sweet about working all day and boating the same evening.

Danny

#5 ·
Thanks for the beta, Danny. Is the first part very technical - that is, would i have time to whip an untested crew into shape before hitting the kind of water where they'll really need to have paddling down? Another question: can one back a trailer to the water at both put-in and take out? (in case I decide to trash my oar blades...)

--Andy

#6 ·
Road runner. How wide is your 14'er? 6.5'? Zach and I have r2ed our 12 ' Avon through the blackrock section (CRC2-class 5) 2 times (with Danny in his stinger), at 430 cfs and at 250. The runout to the narrows is too narrow for a boat more than 6' wide at 250, and Blackrocks rapid has some slots that are 4.5' wide at the same level. A good lowside can get you through these slots, but watch out for swimming Blackrocks, it's no fun :? . I would not recommend running Blackrocks in your 14'er below 400, as danny says, and 600-700 would probably be ideal. Also, I'd recommend having a crew that knows what to do, that you don't have to command very much, as you need to be very reactive. Yelling full paddle commands might take too much time. It's a great fun run, and it's just so damn close to denver, it's irresistable. Cheers and Beers,
Perry

#7 ·
Andy,

Sorry about the delay replying back, at the put in you can pull your trailer right by the river super easy and at the take out you will have plenty of room for your trailer but you will have to carry your raft maybe 20 feet up a small hill o get to it. If you want to run it sometime let me know I wil go with. I am heading to the ark. today for a full moon mission but I should be back monday, so let me know if you want to hook up.

Danny

#8 ·
Danny, funny you should mention the full moon thing. 5 of us are meeting at hecla at 11:30pm for shuttle. Let's hope the sky stays clear. if you're doing browns maybe we'll see the stinger or the c1? Having dinner and beers at fishermans at 7:30.

#9 ·
good times

thanks for all the info everybody. the crew and i had alot of fun on the run and got som good pics from it. it was tight in some spots and we got hung up a couple times but ran clean for the most part..
I am selling my boat its a 14 foot achilies with an our frame and all the accessories (paddles and jackets as well). I am asking $1200/obo. I am moving to Japan and its kind of hard to ship a big ruber raft...
So if you know anyone in the market my # is 303-915-9423
thanks again for the info..
ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.