Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has heard of someone taking a raft down Avalanche Creek near Carbondale? Had a friend send a few miles of it today in a Puma and wondering if this is a run many people have done.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've been in the valley 30+ years and never heard of anybody rafting Avalanche Creek. Kayaks yes but cool if someone got a raft down that. Not saying it hasn't been done before but not common. We ARE running the Crystal from Avalanche Creek down to Carbondale this weekend. Crystal running 1500 and prime

Sorry just read your post better that your friend ran it. That's pretty cool, I'd like to hear the beta

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just a heads up if anybody does the Crystal. Check the gauge before you run - it can swing quickly. My personal cut-off is 1500. Above that you may not clear the bridges in a raft.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crystal is prime! Been out on it a few times, I go to about 2000 with a paddle raft. Good stuff!

Yea he ran Avalanche Campground to the Crystal. Said it was rowdy and woody. Scary enough he wouldn't do it again. Couple of trees he went under, close to the surface but not under water. Wants to clean out the wood. Maybe a late fall hike down the riverbed?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Agreed. I hit it Sunday at 1500 and dropping in the cat (with chairs) and cleared by 6". Lots of fun. Probably only a week or two at this level so time to get some runs in. Id say laps but that shuttle is a bitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts