Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently moved from Montana to the D.C. area and I am hoping to meet other rafters. While finding kayakers has been easy, oars men tend to be harder to find.

If you happen to be anywhere near the greater DC/Virginia area I would love to buy you a drink and pick your brain about good spots to put in/pull out and camp along the rivers around here. And maybe even plan a trip or two.

I am interested in whitewater, multi-day as well as casual /fly fishing float trips.

I brought an Aire 14FT with and NRS outfitter frame out here with me.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm always looking for folks to float with, I'm up by the Shenandoah. Next time it gets high, 5-12 ft, you should come up. Lots of rivers to row, a few worth overnights.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I tend to stay centralized a little further south than you, but I enjoy overnighters and flyfishing float trips (not all are casual...some are a little intense by most flyfishermen's standards). Being in Central WV here are some of the runs we do/watch for (copied from an earlier post of mine):

-Greenbrier River many runs (light whitewater though)
-South Fork of South Branch of Potomac
-South Branch of the Potomac
-North Fork of North Branch of Potomac
-North Branch of Potomac
-Cheat
-Big Sandy
-Gauley above the Dam
-Gauley Below the Dam
-Shavers Fork
-Dry/Black Fork of the Cheat
-Bluestone
-New River Dries
-New River between hinton and hawks nest
-Elk River
-Coal River (light whitewater)
-2nd Creek
-Tygart
-Back Fork of Elk
-Middle Fork River

^^Thats 700+ miles of mild whitewater to class V that I'm marking off my "to-do list" Or feel free to pm me with specific questions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just moved out here as well and I've found most people R2 the rivers rather then row. I went down the New River Gorge with some people I ran into and will be heading back to Fayetteville WV for Gauleyfest. I would also suggest visiting Home of the West Virginia Wildwater Association (WVWA) Membership is $20 and they are always setting up river trips in the area.

Right now I'm job hunting so I have all the free time in the world if you want to grab beers and plan a trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts