Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I might be moving to Bend from Carbondale, CO, and am looking for some recommendations on rivers to get me pumped up. I love all types of rafting: flat water fishing trips, techy class 4, and my favorite, BIG class 3. I've done the Lower Deschutes – super fun. But would love some other suggestions.

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Big Eddy Run is a short 45 minute run with the one class IV. You can hike a qtr mile in along the Deschutes River Trail to look at it. The John Day River (spring run, has several sections, great for fishing. Clarno is the only rapid of note and depends on water level. If you kayak there is a run through Bend itself when the river is at the right flow. Heading south, there is the Umpqua which has some major rapids during spring flow, (the canyon never warms up and so hypothermia is a big possibility if you swim in spring flow. The McKenzie is a continuous style river with nothing too challenging, other than the upper section which is only runnable at certain flows. Several put ins and take outs. The Santiam River has a day run with one class III but lots of fun twos from Packsaddle Park down. There is a very fun upper section at the Bruneau Rd Bridge down to the reservoir that is my fav day run, but only runnable at certain water levels. The Upper Clack has some good whitewater. They use to host a whitewater fest up there every year, not sure if they still do. We now live in Nevada, but rafting was our thing up there. Bend has become very crowded and very expensive both to rent and buy. Hope you enjoy it. We lived north of Bend for 8 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts