Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafting A-C section of the Green river the first week of April. What is a good base average CFS level so I know what's to low to run and what's very high and fast? When is it a rock garden, and when is it so high it's washed out? Isn't the daily CFS rates pretty standard in that area because of the dam? Also can I bring my dog?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
14 Posts
How is the fishing on those sections of the Green in April? My buddy and I are starting to plan our spring fishing trip and we don't have any beta on the Green.

Edit: We are floating it but have yet to get on the Green.

·
Registered
520 Posts
800 cfs (or there abouts) is the absolute minimum they release from the Dam.

There is plenty of water in that entire stretch at 800 cfs, except for Red Creek Rapid. At that level there is enough water but you will pinball off a rock or 3 in Red Creek. At 800 cfs the wind is your only enemy.

I have also run it at 9000 cfs.....the small rapids are still there, and super fun wave trains...Red Creek is a solid class III at that level.

2200 cfs is perfect.

Fishing is always great in there, some of the best in the Rocky Mtns.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Fishing is good all the way down to Lodore rangers station. C section has fewer fish per mile by a lot, but holds some monster fish. You need a permit to take out at Lodore rangers station or there are take outs above there on 'c' section. Take your time and do layovers to fish. Upper grass hopper camp site on the 'B' section can fish really good (need to reserve it), perfect size for two, easy landing and easy to carry gear to campsite.
Plenty of info on web about camps, flies and etc. Start your search with Dutch John Utah.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Do not drive down to the ramp at 'A' section unless you are rigged. No inflating, loading boat and etc. allowed on the ramp. You get about 5 minutes to unload and move all your gear off to the side of ramp where you can tie up and finish packing boat. The only required gear is a groover if going past 'A' section and life jackets.
I have ran it as low as 850 (pack light, no cast iron), gets boney at red creek rapids and up to 4,000 with no problems at all. At 4,000 the fishing gets tough.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
April=Olives and Midges. Have some red larva lace midge larva ties and run it as a dropper. 18/20

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for replies. Can I run a-c section in two days? Who's a good company to catch a ride with after pulling out on the C section? Where's the best pull out section on the C?

·
Registered
525 Posts
April/May is the peak time for fly fisherman hoping to catch the Blue Wing Olive hatch. The A section will be crowded with pro guided fisherman in drift boats. The boat ramp at the dam will be very, very busy 1st thing in the morning. Launching later in the day, like after 10:00 AM will make a world of difference.

No camping on the A section, but the first camp on the B is just a short walk from Little Hole. There is a sign up for board at Little Hole for the campsites on B and C sections. Arrange a shuttle through Trout Creek Ltd. or Flaming Gorge Lodge. The Lodge also rents raft gear and has a small stock of spare parts. One option is to self shuttle the takeout vehicles on the drive in (coming from CO) and then hire a shuttle with trailer to do the launch at the dam. Let the pro driver deal with the crazy A section mess.

The shuttle out of C section is an expensive one, this is because the road is very long and mostly dirt.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You can easily run C section in one day at that flow. The drive out can be difficult if it rains. One nice thing about A-B-C is that the water flows are predictable with a guaranteed minimum flow. It rarely goes below 800 cfs, which is very boat friendly.

Running A-B-C in a single day is possible at higher flows but 28 miles at 2200 cfs would be a lot of effort. Also wouldn't leave any slack time for fishing. Most boats spend a full day on each section. (note: that means on the crowed bits every boat in front of you is rowing at that pace, passing 20 or 30 boats isn't really feasible.)

They occasionally schedule a 'flood release'. I went during a 8,600 cfs release, did the 7 mile A section in under an hour. Most of the campsites were flooded or had no eddy to stop in.

You can check the dam release schedule here...
Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Flaming Gorge Reservoir

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Many guides will do a and b in a single day- I don't know why you'd want to rush thru, though. It's a very pretty float. The difference in fishing pressure between a and b is significant. A section probably gets 80-90 percent of the pressure. The experience on B is greatly enhanced as a result. Wish they'd build a campground at Little Hole- you could float to camp- overnight and pack all your gear in your vehicle prior to floating B

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sorry, I keep re-reading your post and realizing I still haven't answered your question. It is common to run A-B-C in 2 days with one overnight camp.

My friends like to park the vehicles full of gear at Little Hole and launch a light boat at the dam. Fish the 7 miles from the dam to Little Hole, stop for a late lunch and load the boat at Little Hole. (Little Hole has a huge parking lot with several boat ramps, lots of room.) Then float a few miles down B section for a camp site.

Floating all three sections is fine at 800 cfs and not too scary rowing at 8600 cfs (a swim would be bad at that flow and look out for a low bridge at indian crossing) surprisingly I still caught some fish at 8600. Anything below 4000 cfs is good water.

The water will be about 40 degrees in April so swimmers have a serious risk of hypothermia. Weather is unpredictable in April/May, could have 50 degree sun or 30" of snow, or both on the same trip.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Section C takeout.....definitely Lower Swallow Boat Ramp. After that the scenery goes to hell. And you get to float thru the super cool Swallow Canyon.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I always use River Runners for shuttles if launching at Dam 1-800-930-72388)

·
Registered
195 Posts
A few years ago I organized a trip down A-B-C sections and timed it such that we linked with a Lodore permit I had...total 10 nights on the river...very great. Yes you can bring a dog on ABC but ranger didn't like it when we landed at Lodore landing; of course Hoover was not tied up and was "busted" running loose around the boat ramp. We rigged and camped at Little Hole the nite before launch and spent 4 nights before camping at Lodore put in. Took our time, caught and ate fish...we did bring a 4HP motor. Only used in the flatwater below C section. Had a partial crew change at Lodore and the motor was hauled home. Flows around 1200cfs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All of these replies have been great!

Where would you stay day one of three in the B section? I need to be able to reserve in advance said location.

Where would you stay night two in the back of B or front of C?

Again I need to be able to reserve in advance on line.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
All of these replies have been great!

Where would you stay day one of three in the B section? I need to be able to reserve in advance said location.

Where would you stay night two in the back of B or front of C?

Again I need to be able to reserve in advance on line.

Thank you in advance!
Big pine is my preferred camp on the B. Then Bridge hollow second night, gives you time to decide if the bridge needs to be portaged, or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
April/May is the peak time for fly fisherman hoping to catch the Blue Wing Olive hatch. The A section will be crowded with pro guided fisherman in drift boats. The boat ramp at the dam will be very, very busy 1st thing in the morning. Launching later in the day, like after 10:00 AM will make a world of difference.

No camping on the A section, but the first camp on the B is just a short walk from Little Hole. There is a sign up for board at Little Hole for the campsites on B and C sections. Arrange a shuttle through Trout Creek Ltd. or Flaming Gorge Lodge. The Lodge also rents raft gear and has a small stock of spare parts. One option is to self shuttle the takeout vehicles on the drive in (coming from CO) and then hire a shuttle with trailer to do the launch at the dam. Let the pro driver deal with the crazy A section mess.

The shuttle out of C section is an expensive one, this is because the road is very long and mostly dirt.
I'm interested in the self shuttle option you mentioned. What are the logistics when doing that? Probably do just one night on the river so where would you take out? I basically need to be spoon fed here. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts