Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So somehow I got put in charge of coming up with the best river trip for 2 rafts and grip of kayaks for the weekend of May 17th. I don't raft so want to make sure to get some input on that side. The two rafts will be good in anything class 3 and into the lower 4's as long as it is not too big of water at that time. I know our water choices should be pretty good then, we can really get anywhere in the state. I am gonna call on westwater tomorrow but think we might be a little late on the permit.

My question is this, what is the best stretch of river around that time for rafters? A longer type float with a decent amount of rapids and some flatwater would be good but the rafters definitely want some fun so not too dull.

My thoughts so far:

Easiest to pull off: Poudre or Ark as plenty of sections to entertain everyone and good camping.

Other thoughts:
Piedra looks awesome but I am limited in my boating in the southwest.
San Miguel/Gunnison also looks cool but maybe a bit too easy as they say mostly class II and III.

Anyone recommend something they have done?

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Are the rafters paddling or rowing? Did you want to do an overnight or just camp by the river? Both the Ark and the Poudre have great class 3 and class 4 runs. You can do about 10 straight miles on the Poudre and have quite a few class 4 rapids, camp and run a different section the next day with a couple of other class 4's on it. On the Ark you could run Brown's Canyon, which is almost all class 3 in the first day and see how you feel about Numbers for the second day, though it's pretty stiff class 4 at higher flows.

Of course there are plenty of good rivers to run in the state, and some might be better in mid-May than these two, but the Arkansas and the Poudre have great class 3 and 4, are easy to shuttle on, and offer great camping spots. If you let me know what you decide, I can give you some good camping beta.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts