Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been invited on an overnight West Water, late August. I've rowed West Water a handfull of times, but never in late August. A friend is concerned my raft is too big. It's 15.5' L x 7' W. Anyone know what's too big for a low-water West Water?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've been invited on an overnight West Water, late August. I've rowed West Water a handfull of times, but never in late August. A friend is concerned my raft is too big. It's 15.5' L x 7' W. Anyone know what's too big for a low-water West Water?
You will be fine.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I was able to get my 18'X8' cat down the left side of Skull at a historic low flow of 1200 cfs - you will have no issues (providing you have some experience) at normal low flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,107 Posts
Nothing to fear. I mean, low water builds character right?
For what it's worth we ran 18' cargo boats with motors down all the time in low water.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We did a trip at 2700-2800 in mostly 16's. Plenty of water and room for a 16'. Skull was a tight sneak and a few boats even squeezed/bounced right of the skull hole while rubbing on the sides.

·
Donkey Punch
83 Posts
I certainly wouldn't go right at Skull with a 16', it's too tight and there definitely is a chance of breaking an oar. Go left like in that video or wait to make your move left right before Skull rock. You'll be fine on everything else no problem.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,107 Posts
I can confirm that at low water it is possible to get firmly STUCK between the wall and skull rock; in my case, a spare oar wedged into the wall where I couldn't see it. Marvelous experience, sitting on that wall wondering (HUH??!) with boats behind me scrambling for a place to be, other than under my rig.
It also sets you up for a hair raising run out after you get unstuck.

Pick your line as you approach; I've run both sides, and except for once it was obvious which line to take.

The one time was the time I got wedged, and in hindsight I was doing a "I am GOD river guide and will go where I damn well please thing."

River God noted my misplaced confidence and offered a different opinion, along with a lesson in physics.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Skull has taught many lessons or as Schutzie says, it gives the River God the chance to teach many lessons. I learned one at low water in Skull, that you better have real oar tethers that let your oars move all the way in. I tried to go left of Skull rock, didn't make it, got pivoted rather robustly around to the right and when I pulled the oar in it stopped with the blade about 2 feet sticking out.

I quickly found myself behind Skull rock in the eddy, trying to grab my spare oar as the on in my right hand was now a 2 piece unit.

Luckily the guy behind me smacked my raft hard enough to launch me on down river.

The military has a term for that sort of thing... cluster fxxx.

DanCan

·
Registered
668 Posts
We did it last year in late August, and it was still running at 3,500 cfs. Two 14 footers and a 14 ft cat all went right, no problem. Saw some 16 footers come through too.

Kazak, I remember when you first posted that video. Very cool.Can't wait to see the video of your son's first run through there on the oars! I don't have any video, but we took our two kids last year for the first time. We took the Mini_max along, and all four kids took turns guiding it until we got to the rapids. They are getting close!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts