Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, unfortunately, it is nearly time to start thinking about storing the raft for the winter. I have a vanguard, super stiff and nearly impossible to roll up. When rolled, it leaves hard creases. I don't have the floor space to leave it partially inflated over the winter. So, I'm thinking about hanging it from the ceiling, using the inverted frame with planks on it as a platform for the partially inflated raft. Anyone done this before?

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
I bought my puma from some folks who said they would hang it from 4 of the d-rings in their barn for the winter. I've had it for 4 years and haven't seen any issues or damage from it being stored that way.

·
Registered
575 Posts
OP: Are you thinking of having the frame as the main support and load distribution, or were you thinking of using the D-rings as Matt noted?

I see beauties in both approaches:

- If you are going to use the frame, just remember that it is one more hard object swinging above your head (I know - obvious), but I like the way that it will allow you to support the rubber without using it as a load path. This will allow you to not worry about keeping it fully inflated full time.

- If you are using the D-rings, everything is lighter and easier to rig. However, you'll need to stay on top of the inflation pressures to keep it from sagging. I wouldn't worry about pulling a D-ring off. If one of them fails from 200lbs of pressure in your garage, be happy it failed in a place that makes it easy to repair!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hang the frame (inverted) anyway. I was planning on using the frame as a platform to hold the minimally inflated raft.

·
A Political Theorist
239 Posts
Have folded and stored Vanguard, with no issues. Would be interested to hear if anyone has encountered a real problem storing a folded PVC boat.

What I've seen in previous threads is mostly end of season boatsterbation.

I have a high garage ceiling and like the idea of hanging an unfolded boat with a little air in it, but really don't want to create unneeded work for myself.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a Vangaurd, I throw lots of baby powder in there and do a light roll and store it under the stars. I'm always worried about mice though that would suck.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm always worried about mice though that would suck.
From experience - mice do suck when mixed with a rolled boat. Rolled and stored an IK that ended up looking like I had lost a shotgun fight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I"ve rolled and stored my Vanguard for the past 3 winters without any problems. I did have rodents enlarge one of the drain holes while it was parked outside on the trailer. The folks at Inflatable Technologies in Denver did an awesome repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts