Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the buzz as an official member. i love to look at other boaters rafts and the way they are set up, the gear they use and the enginuity that people apply. i am asking that the community post some pictures of their rides. kind of like a car show. maybe explain some of the pros and cons of the set ups that your working with or the gear that you are using. i know that i am always thinking of a better way to do something. i currently have a 130d that i use for long and short trips and of course i set it up differently based on the trip length and gear needed. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is my 14' Tributary on the Wild Salmon. The boys sit up front on a surplus "Medical Chest" (waterproof-almost equal to 3 rocket boxes) in between two drybags with the handles where the boys can hold them. The boys sit low up front, so big waves blow them back into me and not overboard. Two 6 gallon water jugs next to the drybags- brings center of gravity forward and mass outward; angular momentum, arms in, skater spins faster - weight outside, makes boat harder to flip. Same idea aft with the two rocket boxes. I sit on the ice chest, drybags in aft of raft. Keep your CG low by keeping gear loaded below or at tube level and equal weight distribution forward/aft & port/starboard. Raft pirouettes swiftly when rigged appropriately; in other words, screw the pouch, about to broadside a raft wrapping rock and you can "spin" off around it. Rigging boats isn't just about hauling gear, how you rig affects how the boat handles. When you get good at it, you start tuning the boat to the river for optimum handling. BTW, you can still steer a boat through a rapid with only one oar if you loose one and can't get it back fast enough. Used to run both pins & clips on my cat & raft - now pins & clips on the cat and sawyer cobras on the raft. Remember to keep your cam lock tails short, all tails short for that matter. Guess rigging is part of why we like running rivers.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Here's the Aire 156, in the CDE version, no longer offered. It is narrow and pointy.

The silver things on the side are 5 gallon corny kegs. I sure miss the Oasis brewery; they used to fill 'em cheap.

The shot is of Quartzite falls on the Salt. Had to drop an oar briefly.

I've ditched the high back seat, in favor of just padding the cooler to get lower down.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
Here's my setup for a 14' VG:

I run a DRE 4-bay frame with, from front to back: drybox, cooler, cockpit, DRE seat over zipper-top drop bag. Oarlocks with oar rights, Sawyer counterbalanced in photo, now using Cataracts shafts with Carlisle 8" blades and counterbalance (this is the prompt for someone who uses a "real man's" oars to chime in on the counterbalance or oar rights...).

The polka dotted thing hiding the cooler is a beach umbrella. Drybags and gear can go in the front and back. I have D-rings on the inside of the tubes in the bow and stern to lash down gear (yes, directly on the floor) since the boat's got a glued in floor (and no lacing to lash to). I do this among other things that are highly abusive to my boat which, as a Chinese-made 7-year old Vanguard constructed entirely of glued PVC, should have completely fallen apart by now leaving me with a pile of dangerously offgassing PVC strips and pieces in my driveway. :D

Thanks to the guy that posted directly above for snapping the photo.

-AH

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
That picture was taken back when Andy used to put at least some gear on his boat. Note the empty water jug and empty buckets strategically arranged to make it appear that he actually has a gear pile.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here is my 14 footer that I rent out from my shop in boulder. I know the bimini cover may be uncool to some, but when you are sitting under it in the desert, it's the coolest thing in the world. Especially when you have kids. Shade is valuable. So, I love having this bimini and it really doesn't take up any space.
Nick Wigston
Whitewater Tube/CKS Rental Center
Boulder, CO
www.whitewatertubing.com
720-239-2179

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
That picture was taken back when Andy used to put at least some gear on his boat. Note the empty water jug and empty buckets strategically arranged to make it appear that he actually has a gear pile.
The drybags in the front actually had wadded up newspaper and styrofoam packing peanuts. The reason the drop bag under the seat is bulging up is from the three beach balls that I bring along on every trip so it looks like I've got something in there.

Dave's always been kind enough to carry my beer and also my anvil collection in the back of his kayak for me.

RE:
The only things I'm missing are a goat on a rope and a clucking chicken in a crate!
How about a rocking chair for grandma up on top behind the seat?

-AH

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Nick that is a nice set up, especially for a rental boat. The bimini is the $hit for desert floats.

What do you charge for that boat? is there an extra charge or damage waiver for the bimini.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
caverdan - is that your antique ipod in the back of the boat, and on the rock in the middle of the camp :)
It an original Dewalt W/manual tuning.....Ipod hooked to it is a 8G. It's seen many a river trip and still works great after flipping in Skull a while back. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
This is our raft setup from the MF Salmon at the end of August this past year. Drybox up front, drop bag behind that (chairs, table, charcoal, other misc things). Rower sits on cooler, cockpit has two captains bags in it (one was a cooler and one was a drybag on this trip to save weight). A pelican case on the deck on each side of me, one for tools and the other for cameras, and they also make a good step for the dogs to get back up on their pile. In the back, groover bucket, 2-3 vittle vaults, water jug, then a layer of drybags, the handwash buckets, and the paco for the dogs. It ends up quite balanced. We also hang the un-pin kit off the bow (green dry bag hard to see). We do that because it weighs a ton and it's nice to keep accessible even when upside down.

The second photo is hard to see of my cat, the yellow one. I had the full-on drybox going as it was May 11 on the Selway and had only a small cooler. It was a short trip and way overkill (but it was brand new!!!). Behind the drybox was a small cooler, small water jug, and mesh bag of drinks. Up on the side of the tubes I had the handwash buckets, paco and drybag. Then the big watershed on top of the drybox. I recently picked up a Mojave drybox (plastic molded, using a gamma seal lid) and a cooler of about the same size. They sit side by side perfectly in the rear bay of my cat, so that will be my new rigging on that if I need a decent cooler. I also quit carrying my paco on the cat, too darn heavy. My next trip, on the MF Salmon I also switched my rigging, started carrying one drybag on top of each tube in the front. That helped me keep my frame more centered and not have to push it so far forward. Oh yeah, drybag with chair and table sits on one tube beside me. The thing I like about the cat is how many different ways I can rig the boat depending on what I need regarding group gear and cooler size. I don't keep drinks in coolers, which helps a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Anyone able to do a "map" of where stuff should go on the boat? I'm a pretty visual person and trying to picture where stuff goes is a bit difficult for me. Then again, I am blonde....

·
Registered
364 Posts
!6' Boat Setup

Here's my 16' Sotar with a 4 bay frame, the front hatch accommodates 4 20mm rocket boxes in a drop bag using the table as a cover. I've since replaced this with a larger and lighter table that works better. The rear cargo is contained in a Pacific river bag (everything bag). The propulsion system is 10' cataract counter balanced oars, funny thing is you get used to counter balanced oars REAL fast. Picture taken on the Main Salmon last July.
IMG_0519.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,873 Posts
The propulsion system is 10' cataract counter balanced oars, funny thing is you get used to counter balanced oars REAL fast. Picture taken on the Main Salmon last July.
Funny those sure look like Carlisle shafts and blades. do carlisle blades fit cataract shafts? Internal counterbalance? I don't see the weights.

It's early. Not pickiing nits, just confused.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts