Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about doing some rigging on my raft for a motor to get out of Cat. I've got a 16' Aire with the compact outfitter frame. Any ideas? HP of the outboard?

Steve.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You need to buy or make a transom to hold the motor. Most people use so called kicker motors in the 5-9 horsepower range. Long shaft motors often work better due to the height of most transoms on rafts. Some places now require 4 stroke motors (they are cleaner) so buying one of those offers some future regulation proofing. Also having a backup attachment of the motor to the main frame might be a good idea so you don't accidentally drop the motor into the river.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Been thinking about doing some rigging on my raft for a motor to get out of Cat. I've got a 16' Aire with the compact outfitter frame. Any ideas? HP of the outboard?

Steve.
If you are only pushing one raft, get a small, lightweight one. We use one of these:

CRUISE N' CARRY 2.7 OUTBOARD MOTOR | eBay

It only weighs about 15 pounds. We have pushed two loaded boats out of Cat with no problem.

·
Registered
487 Posts
there is not current to dirty devil.... lake is up, like way up. Hite Marina is actually usable by about 20ft above edge of concrete.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Damn. That's horrible. I hate that lake. Okay, if it's a lake now you're not a pussy. But don't use your motor on moving current, that's for pussies. Fair?

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
smaller outboards can be managed off something rigged on some framing lumber on a back corner, if you don't wan to spend the money to do it right. You might also do well rigging something to go between the back of two boats. Seen this done with Just a spare oar shaft, some cams and and old 8 horse johnson.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 14' boat and was looking at a motor to get me up stream from Lee's Ferry. do you think a 2.5 would be too small? any recommendations?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp, four-stroke a few years ago for this purpose, and I've been very happy with it. Price was right - it's essentially an outboard made from a lawn tractor engine. Only thing is that you can only lay it down with a certain side up when not using it, or else the oil runs out of it... But that hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a pic of my plywood transom in my photo gallery. Used three camstraps to attach it to the raft. One thru the back d-ring and the two loops inside the transom, and one long strap per side attached to the other loops going up to the frame. I used a 5hp Clinton 2-stroke and pushed two rafts no problem.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you plan on going to the Grand Canyon with your motor, it will have to be a 4-stroke engine. Generally, 4-stroke outboards are quieter and more fuel efficient, but a lot heavier than 2-stroke motors. The recommendations for 5-9 hp motors are okay if you're going for a 2-stroke, but a 9-horse Honda 4-stroke outboard is going to weigh as much as your girlfriend and beer combined.

You don't need that much horsepower. We used a 3-horse Nissan to push 5 rafts from Separation Canyon to South Cove (two days) a few years ago. The power was quite adequate, and the weight was tolerable.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a little 2.5 Merc for my flat back canoe that I occasionally use on my raft. I drilled a hole in a short piece of 2x4 and inserted a piece of pipe (flush) left over from my frame build. I then drilled down through the entire assembly and ran a bolt through it. I attached a T fitting from Frontier Play to the other end that allows it to simply slide onto the back frame rail. I run the pipe through the back D ring for added stability and use a strap for redundancy. A standard coupler slid onto the pipe allows me to adjust the height of the motor.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a 14' boat and was looking at a motor to get me up stream from Lee's Ferry. do you think a 2.5 would be too small? any recommendations?
topbud, these guys are talking about towing rafts across flat water. If you want to go upstream of Lees at these flows you are going to need a hell of a lot more. It may also be impossible to keep straight without a hull.

Heavy current in there and the water is moving, fast. I don't think you could go upstream there in a raft. I've only done it in a fishing boat upstream.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Be shur the motor has the EPA sticker on the top of the cover for the grand! I used a 6hp Nissan, it weighs 42lbs.My raft is a 156R.I had a stern frame built with a clamp on motor mount,it cost $400.00 money well spent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts