Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
AIRE 156R
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Buzzards, I am looking to store one of the boats (the cataraft) above the vehicles in the garage for the winter. I’d like to see some setups so I know what works best and what doesn’t work at all! Can you guys send me some ideas so I don’t fail miserably!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Super basic but my 10.5' raft lives above my 156R. just 2 2x4" with eye bolts in the end width wise, and then 2 1x4" screwed into that length wise. For a bigger boat i would up the 1x4's to something bigger and maybe a third cross member. It's a small boat so I just lift one corner at a time by hand until it's up.

Attachments

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
267 Posts
I have one of the cheap electric hoists mounted to my garage ceiling (1300 lb. Electric Hoist with Remote Control). I store my raft deflated and hung over a crossbar vertically, but I bet you could figure a way to hoist it rigged/horizontal if you tried. The electric hoist makes getting it up/down a total breeze.
Nice! I have a similar set up. I have the Garage Gator in my garage to hoist my frames up tight to the ceiling. My raft is stored rolled up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made what is essentially a hammock, with a rectangular grid. Each open cell of the hammock is around two or three feet wide. I hoist it to the ceiling with 3:1 block and tackle at each end, and then I run four straps side to side under the boat to the trusses to cinch it up and keep the middle from sagging. The block and tackle are hung near the peak of the roof.

I'm not convinced that a hammock is the right approach. codycleve's wooden supports look like they may be better if you're not likely to be walking under and hitting your head on them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I found a second hand electric hoist and mounted it in the ceiling of my shop. Works great for picking up the boat off the trailer, taking frames off, etc.

·
Registered
847 Posts
One of you engineer typ guys should help me out. Been trying (not to hard) to figure out how to pull 4 corners equally with one center line. So I I could do a lift in my garage too lol. I'd buy block and tackle no worries but it's making my brain itch a little lol. Draw me a picture will ya please?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I think one centerline will give you fits as far as tilting and spinning. I think you want a single main line that splits and goes to a front and back pulley.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yeah exactly. I want a single line that operates four corners. So a rectangle is lifted equally at each corner with a single line center but off to side. ???? Is it possible? Yaha iam to punchy!

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
267 Posts
Yeah exactly. I want a single line that operates four corners. So a rectangle is lifted equally at each corner with a single line center but off to side. ???? Is it possible? Yaha iam to punchy!
That's pretty much the way my Garage Gator lift works. It's meant to hoist bikes but I use it for my raft frames. The bar that normal holds the bikes has 4 equal length cables that attach to each corner of the frame. It lifts all corners equally and doesn't spin.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yes. Here is a diagram, I'm no artist. So this is for a winch wall mounted to the wall low to the ground. Single line comes up and splits to two pulleys.. from here it goes out to two rafter mounted pullieys.. take note you only have as much lift as the distance from our wall pulley to the rafters so winch must be mounted low. Winch would be mounted to the side of your raft not the end.

This is if you want the raft near a wall.. if your raft was more centered in the shop I would do a single top wall pulley and split after that as you may have more pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
for that setup i would use something like this worm gear winch... Buy yourself a 5/8 socket for your eclectic drill and take the manual cranking out of it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LKWYX4...13&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it#customerReviews

There is a picture in the reviews of that winch of another option for setup of them using it to lift a pickup cover. Look at that picture.. i would change some things as to what he did. he has his winch on the ceiling. I would wall mount it and have it come up to a pully on the ceiling then have it split out into the four different pulleys. He uses eye bolts for this application but i would go pulleys in a heavier raft application.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Buzzards, I am looking to store one of the boats (the cataraft) above the vehicles in the garage for the winter. I’d like to see some setups so I know what works best and what doesn’t work at all! Can you guys send me some ideas so I don’t fail miserably!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you take the larger frame and put it under the smaller raft as a platform?
I store my frame on the ceiling. Two big hooks (for ladders or such) are mounted in the ceiling joists and I hoist the frame's end cross bar into them. I have a third hook mounted into the ceiling and using a short ladder to walk the other end cross bar up into it. Super cheap. Raft is kept rolled up since we only have a one car garage.
But we are uprading to three garages soon, so I will be considering new storage options (and probably a trailer too).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here’s my solution:
Mounted 2x6 through garage ceiling into all rafters.
Mounted 2 kayak lifts (~$25 each on Amazon)
Raft sits on top of frame. Kayak lift hooks onto frame. (Remove cooler, drybox and seat)
In my case, it’s elevated above the garage door
I keep the ski box (Thule) here during summer and raft in the winter.
See pics
Rectangle Packaging and labeling Box Carton Font

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

Surveillance camera Gas Fender Automotive design Automotive lighting

Missile Wheel Gas Aviation Machine

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Shade Wood Lighting Line Beam

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use cotton strapping for securing stuff in tractor trailers, along with cam buckles, and some J-lags and D-rings.

I can lower the straps enough that I can walk the raft into the loops, then pull on them one by one and raise it up. Then I sutff my frame and oars and paddle bag up under the straps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you haul the raft up with all straps (pic 1), drop two of the straps and then haul the frame up to the raft with those last two straps?
Are those potatoes hanging off your rig?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts