Mountain Buzz banner

Raft Cover Recommendations?

1591 Views 22 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  HitMcG
Looking into raft cover option for a 13ft NRS Outlaw that wont run me 400+ dollars? Mostly for UV protection. Thanks!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
I'm making the assumption based on your handle that you might have a fishing frame on that boat. I have this cheap cover currently DeckMate 14' - 16' Gray Pontoon Boat Covers and its worked suprisingly well for a few years. The size actually fits about right lengthwise for my 13'9" boat with fishing frame. Its a bit wide but no big deal, I stuff the excess between tube and trailer and then run a few straps across. I am going to get an Over It raft cover when this one wears out though. Snow melts and puddles inside the raft and freezes into giant blocks. The Over It allows water to drain and solves that problem.

· Registered
707 Posts
recycled vinyl billboard covers + a DIY grommet kit, an inexpensive rope threaded through, and cut up gatorate bottles or something of the like to cover your oarlocks so they don't poke through. Maybe not the best solution for the PNW (traps in moisture, pools rain water) but works well in a desert environment.

Or go full in and get an over it raft cover

· Registered
4 Posts
I bought a car cover this year for around $30 to put on my 14' RMR. Held up great for this season. Breathed well and blocked the UV. Will have to wait to see how many more seasons it has left, but I imagine a few.

· My name isn't Will
721 Posts
I have used a car cover for several years, but the trailer is in a carport. It's mostly to discourage rodents from climbing in and keeping prying eyes away. When I have to leave the boat out for a day or so getting ready for a trip, it is nice to be able to keep it out of the sun. The sun is bad enough when I have to take that poor hunk o' rubber out on a river.....

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Harbor Freight started selling extreme duty tarps and I got one for my Dory to keep water out of the footwells and hatches and it seems to be hold up really well. They are like $30-50 depending on size. I think they make a really big one but I just got the 12x20 one. I'm thinking about cutting it to fit and add some grommets to really secure it well.

· Registered
168 Posts
Over it size M will cover two stacked rafts well... 13 bare and 10.5 with a frame. Second winter outside at 9K feet. Put them in a different place this winter to avoid drifting and it's been windy without loading up with snow. As mentioned they don't hold water and perform well in the wind. Had continuous 20+ mph with 30+ mph gusts the other night. The snow blew away and the cover stayed put. Looks like you missed their recent sale.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
As mentioned above, I now use quality duck style standard canvas tarps. Even low price outfits like Northern Tool sell decent ones. The better grades last multiple years of outdoor raft storage.

For long term storage I will elevate the tarp above the raft.

Over the years I have spent quite a bit of money on special manufactured raft covers. None of them worked any way close to the tarps. I think there may be decent specialty designs out there, I have not found them.

· Registered
6 Posts
Friend of mine got one of these. Not as many bells and whistles as the over it raft covers which I would recommend mine is 2.5 years old and it looks great. But this option is less than 1/3 the price.
I used to use a tarp with a 2013 PVC RMR, now RMR says not to use tarps due to a green house effect. I would use something that would breath especially with a PVC boat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091GC6JB6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2OPOCQXC3EJAS&th=1

· Registered
1,287 Posts
recycled vinyl billboard covers + a DIY grommet kit, an inexpensive rope threaded through, and cut up gatorate bottles or something of the like to cover your oarlocks so they don't poke through. Maybe not the best solution for the PNW (traps in moisture, pools rain water) but works well in a desert environment.

Or go full in and get an over it raft cover
Folgers plastic coffee cans work well for oarlocks as well.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
WalMart car covers and plastic tarps are good for 2 seasons max. Murdochs charges a premium for EVERYTHING they sell, you can probably find canvas tarps elsewhere for less. I too splurged for the Over it, the pain of the cost goes away the second you cover your boats. My medium size covers both a 12' stacked on top of the 14'. Top quality, Raft specific features are a bonus, I see no less than a decade of use. Tennis balls to cover the oarlocks. They sell the larger balls at ........ Murdochs! LOL.

· Registered
5,204 Posts
I have a whitewater designs cover, it's going on 12 years old now IIRC, tuffriverstuff.com has them in stock in most cases.

The big bonus to me anyway, is it keeps your boat dry, is close fitting, comes with tons of straps to use if you choose. It's not mesh like the over it offering, and is fitted, not just a drape.. YMMV

· Registered
90 Posts
I have 2 of the whitewater designs covers as well, they're pretty nice. Best option is to build a shop or boat barn. My biggest dream is to have the whole fleet rigged and ready to go at all times stored in a warm dry shop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts