Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some cockpit size measurements from inside to inside of cross bars for someone using a nrs deluxe footbar and is sitting on a dry box. I was planning based on 20" but NRS suggested 30" which seems really large to me. I am 5'11". thoughts?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
281 Posts
30" makes more sense when sitting on a chair that is mounted directly to the cross bar. When sitting on a dry box, the variables are how tall above the frame the box is and where you place your butt on the lid. If the box and any padding puts you 3"-5" above the frame, a 20" bay should be pretty good for you. If the front to back dimension of the box happens to be 18" bigger, that will give you or anyone else that were to row plenty of butt adjustment. Even if the box is 16," you should be good with a 20" bay.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'm 6'-6", sitting on a PVC pad on a low drybox. 24" is maybe an inch short for me, and fits most others well.

My dory has a 32" oarsman's footwell, I'm about 6" from the front wall to the footrest.

At your height, I'll guess 22".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
30" makes more sense when sitting on a chair that is mounted directly to the cross bar. When sitting on a dry box, the variables are how tall above the frame the box is and where you place your butt on the lid. If the box and any padding puts you 3"-5" above the frame, a 20" bay should be pretty good for you. If the front to back dimension of the box happens to be 18" bigger, that will give you or anyone else that were to row plenty of butt adjustment. Even if the box is 16," you should be good with a 20" bay.
oh interesting. i hadnt thought about the box depth in the calculation. The box i was looking at is 13" deep. the NRS seat is 12 deep including the backing so i thought 13" would be ok. is that too narrow?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My rafts are set up with a dry box that rides 3.5 inches above the crossbar. I am 6'1" and my cockpit is 24.5" from bar to bar. My wife is 5'5" and her cockpit is set up with 22" difference.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
281 Posts
oh interesting. i hadnt thought about the box depth in the calculation. The box i was looking at is 13" deep. the NRS seat is 12 deep including the backing so i thought 13" would be ok. is that too narrow?
It will certainly work as a seat, it just doesn't give you any butt adjustability to sit a little farther back or a little farther forward to get that footwell dialed. It is probably worth mocking something up and seeing how things shake out.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
It will certainly work as a seat, it just doesn't give you any butt adjustability to sit a little farther back or a little farther forward to get that footwell dialed. It is probably worth mocking something up and seeing how things shake out.
Good advice, the NRS frames are pretty much infinitely adjustable. Put your boat together and fiddle with it, it's a huge part of rafting LOL.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I sit on a 13” box and it works fine. I can pin my footbar at at a vertical & 45* angle to accommodate different leg lengths.

Edited “foot” -> “footbar”. Autocorrect

1 - 18 of 18 Posts