Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need to carry two inflated, rigged rafts on one trailer. Our trailer has 1 foot sides. Any ideas how to raise the sides so I could do this?

Thanks
tabriz

·
Registered
676 Posts
take the oar stands off the bottom raft so that the top raft will sit right on the bottom one? other than that, the only thing i know of is to derig the bottom frame, ride it on the top one, and rerig when you get to the putin. never seen a rack that is made for this, but i'm sure it can be made....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Are both rafts the same size? If one is bigger, I assume the frame is larger too, and then you could put the smaller one on top of the larger one so the smaller raft fits between the oar locks of the larger frame? Otherwise, just lossen them and rotate them outward maybe? Do either or both have flip seats? That could be a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One is a catboat (with floor) and the other a self bailer. The seat and the oar mounts are the problem. Plus I'd rather not have them sitting on top of each other.

·
I made a pair of removable side racks that hold my cat above my raft, but I'm having trouble getting photos to attach to my post. Send me a pm with email address and I will send the photos.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My buddy has a 16" cat and a larger heavy duty trailer, we strip the seat and oar stands off the cat and stack up to 2 rafts on top of it all the time. It works like a charm, and saves tons of money on shuttles/fuel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Should be easy, as long as at least one boat is narrower than the trailer. You will want to use roller(s) to insert the lower raft. What materiels did you have in mind? Can you weld? Were you thinking bolt together?
I agree with Boilermaker---lots easier to make suggestions if we can see what we're working with

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Why Rack 'Em when you could Stack 'Em?

Stack = Lower loading height, lower center of gravity, more secure package when you're loaded.

Rack = Complicated answer to an simple question

Save your $$$, buy some extra long straps, spend the change on PBR.

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
I have a 16' cat and a 13' self bailer. I drop the oar towers & remove the seat on the cat and put the sb on top. the teiler is a converted snowmobile trailer and uses the doughnut wheels. i am planning on this coming up winter to making the trailer burlier by welding leafsprings on to the frame and using an axle that is rated for 2500 lbs which will let me use car tyres as opposed to the doughnuts which I change out at least once during the summer due to driving all around to raft, but for now the double stack works just fine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agree with Caprishmael. Rack? Stack. I"m in the habit of leaving my frame on my 14sb, just removing the seat. The oar towers hold the next raft right in place. I've stacked two paddle rafts on my oar rig with no probs. If your boat can take a beating from rocks in the river, it can certainly sit on a frame if it's strapped tight enough not to rub. Don't you dare try it with cam straps though. Ratchets only please. SYOTR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts