Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Renaissance *******
1,395 Posts
Not if you eat them first..... Wait till Feburry and shoot them with a bow. It takes a month or so of hard freeze to kill the parasites and fleas. Then once you skin them the trick is to freeze them in salt water for a few weeks. MMM better than chicken.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
We had a pet rabbit when I was a kid. We let it run around the house.....until we noticed it had stripped the wire insulation off the living room TV, console stereo, and lamp cords. Somehow we noticed it before anything shorted out or the house burned down. It was amazing how much insulation that rabbit ate and never got a shock. It did shock the hell out of my dad....literally.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rodents

Mice and the like love to make homes out of your boats!

Best bet is to store above ground (like a pallet rack in the garage, or in a camper) and out of the elements or where you know they might frequent.

Here's some info, in our Tips section, on storing your Hyside, both short term (in between trips during the season) and long term over the winter.

https://hyside.com/hyside-owners-manual/#store

·
Registered
152 Posts
We've had mice chew into a PVC cataraft and then through the baffle. Also paco pads. Luckily we blow up our boats every year before the first trip to test them out! Patching the baffle was a pain. Pretty sure it was glue-huffer trying to get deep into that chemical bliss after his lover got into the green stuff.

Since then, we've been storing everything in a mouse-proof enclosed trailer or a platform in the middle of a metal shed, with no vectors to climb or jump to it.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
hoist that thing to the ceiling. I Have my 16' cat fully rigged hanging from the ceiling in my garage, and 3 IK's folded up in their bags and stacked on top of the cat. no critters getting to it. (I don't get mice in my garage, but it was a great place to put it, as both cars could fit under it just fine. )

·
Registered
143 Posts
We've had mice chew into a PVC cataraft and then through the baffle. Also paco pads. Luckily we blow up our boats every year before the first trip to test them out! Patching the baffle was a pain. Pretty sure it was glue-huffer trying to get deep into that chemical bliss after his lover got into the green stuff.

Since then, we've been storing everything in a mouse-proof enclosed trailer or a platform in the middle of a metal shed, with no vectors to climb or jump to it.
Hopefully those mice chewed through a Saturn and not a good boat.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Critter dissuasion: blood meal sprinkled around outside (available from garden supply stores) and moth balls in immediate vicinity of rubber will help (if possible get the rubber off the ground on a pallet or something, place moth balls directly underneath).

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
Will the Naptha in the moth balls degrade the material?

I'm with mtriverrat: get a cat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are wintering our ambulance (search "Campbulance" on google) in a nearby ranch. Naturally, there's rodents running all over the place. There is one gapping hole, created by numerous cuts from a 3 inch hole saw, that could let critters in.

Our solution: Irish Spring Soap.

I don't know how. I don't know why. No Mice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts