Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on a good place to backcountry ski around Rabbit Ears Pass or Steamboat? I'm heading up there this weekend and want to get some backcountry turn in; however, i've never skiied the area. Please let me know if you have any good spots. Thanks alot.

Craig

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Steamboat locals are supposedly very jealous about their BC spots but I was shown around by an almost complete stranger and then again in the summer shown some really cool looking routes.

Rabbit ears has little to offer a skier, but things north of town are much more interesting. I was taken into fish creek canyon from the hill, but it was rather complicated with lots of trail branches and some pretty heavy consequences for the wrong turn. Find a local or a good topo.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hahns Peak, Farwell Mnt are both worth a walk. I have skied both. Lots of potential NW of Pearl Lake but access is an issue - both long approach and private property.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Depending on how you aproach it you have a few options. send me a pm with yout T.I and I might be able to point you in the right direction. If you find the sled lots just ask for a tow, look for skis.

good people, real loud.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rabbit ears and Buff pass are overrun with noisy, two stroke machines. If that's alright with you then you might be able to find good snow if it hasn't been chewed up by the sleds or tracked out by towed boarders/skiers. Personally, I'd go elsewhere

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately not a good source for either, but cmikes info is a bit off. They both have non motorized areas.

Not that steep but always kind wondered how turns on Mt Baker would be. It is an old ski area that is across from muddy pass by the Walden turn on 40. Looks mostly mellow but pretty fun and never tracked.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tons of good backcountry around. Stop by the local Forest Service office and they can show you all the areas around with non-motorized access. Also the old Stagecoach Ski Area south of town has some pretty awesome old runs that are really easy to access and nobody really goes there. The stuff on Rabbit Ears is mostly low angle but if your good with a topo there are lots of runs with just a bit of effort. Buffalo Pass is also awesome but the access can be long depending on how far back you go. That being said their are plenty of runs that aren't more than a mile or two up the buffalo pass road. Be careful the pow might be so deep you need a snorkel! Go champagne pow!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
thanks for posting it all online, now a google search will bring tons of fags up our way, good job boys, apparently its not that crowded anymore anyhow. I like getting to the sled lot at 4:30 on a saturday just to get first tracks. way to think it through.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love all the idiotic douche-bags on here, yes fry and bobbuilds i'm referring to you as well as anyone else who thinks it's blasphemy to point someone in the right direction. Has it never gone through your pea sized brain that tourism is what supports our economy here in the mountains of Colorado? Yes, people will ask where to go and being a good citizen that supports your local community, you should, at least, point them in the right direction. I'm not saying to detail your exact favorite runs, but helping someone out who is trying to spend a buttload of money, is prudent to enhancing your community and increasing the amount of revenue that it takes in. By telling someone who isn't from around here where the place is to go get some good pow, not only ensures that this person will have a good vacation, it almost always ensures they will bring their family back next year to spend 10-15 thousand dollars in a week. Sorry if being the ski bum you are doesn't allow you to even contemplate spending 10 g's on a family vacation. Also, I am a local rider who has lived in Colorado my whole life and I have NO problem helping someone have a good time while they are in Colorado, in fact it gives me a nice feeling inside knowing that I have helped someone have an experience that they normally would not have. Also it's nice to piss off people who think that the mountains are theirs, and only theirs. These mountains belong to everyone in the U.S. whether or not you like it. Enough said.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah powrider, BC skiers typically ooze money. Why don't you worry about the Durango area, and leave Steamboat alone. Stagecoach is private land, so much for these mountains belonging to everyone in the US.

Ain't nobody bringing their family here & dropping 15k to go hike.

I've lived here all my life too. That means I have to share my stash? Ain't happening.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's all you got? Looks like your argument is shot. I never said show anyone your "stash", I said help a fellow person out and point them in the right direction so they can have a blast while their out here. I wouldn't show them my stash but I would point them to an area that they can have their fun. Also I don't live in Durango, I have lived in Steamboat, I am from Colorado and the location is irrelevant. I would point people in the right direction anywhere in Colorado. I believe, but may be incorrect, that the bottom of Stagecoach is on private land but the majority of the mountain is on Forest Service land. Also to single out Stagecoach is fairly shortsighted as the vast majority of land in the Steamboat area is either Forest Service or BLM land. Also anyone traveling to Steamboat, or Colorado for that matter, to ski, backcounty or ski area, does have a lot of money that they are planning on dropping in our communities. They need beer, food and lodging too unless you know of some kind of person who can vacation without spending a dime. Do you want to leave them with the "it's my mountain so leave" taste in their mouth so they decide to take their vacation money elsewhere?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think most of Stagecoach is private, if not all, and if the bottom is private, how will you access without trespassing. Oh wait, doesn't matter, most of the land around here is public, so go ahead and ski anywhere.

BC skiers for the most part are some of the cheapest ski bums on the planet. The economy around here depends more on gapers from Florida and Germany than hikers.

You want to welcome the masses to Colorado, be my guest. Please keep your suggestions to trespass and your holier than thou nice guy attitude and your comments about pea-brains and idiots to yourself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not holier than thou nice guy, just someone who understands that tourism is the backbone of our economies in the mountains. If you don't see it that way than maybe you should call your local government and ask who fills the coffers. It is tourists who foot the bills. I never said trespass either, I said most of the area is FS and BLM, which it is, and anyone can ski it, not just your high and mighty self and your buddies. If you know how to read a map you can find these areas and ski them. I know you can access the area around Stagecoach without trespassing. Also the guy who "ain't nobody" does need to eat, drink and sleep so the argument that it doesn't have any effect on the town is bunk. It "ain't you" who is keeping Steamboats streets paved, I am sure of that. Thanks and try again.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
so, i am about to unload, sorry if i don't punctuate properly....

But,you should not just tell someone on a forum where to go, you could send a pm. why a pm, because not every one can read it. if you just say where to go bla bla bla it look like berthoud pass, or RMNP, for fucks sake, there are tons of people out there giving instructional classes at every fuckin trailhead. i used to get turns right off the bat DAYS after it passed. now i have to hike 5 mile and ski the fuckin sticks so tight you think you were indiana jones. it sucks, avy pits on a 20* slope? are you serious? most people arent even learning. i hate people i hate crossing tracks and i am sick and tired of people following me!!!!!!!!!!!!! get the fuck out. it is all going to shit so fucking fast, no one is .. aghhhh!!!!!! fuck it dude.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I like to ski powder. powder, not chop.

also, it is the back country. people are supposed to die. you should be scared, and if you do go in be ready, because when people do dumb shit its cool but when people do dumb shit in your area and it gets closed or reduced in size you will be pissed too.(snowwmobile in W.A. go obviously into a slide zone, hit a kid in a parking lot, take your pick...) the list goes on, is all im saying dont make everything so obvious?

between the gov. and wall-mart and the home depot, i now hate the internet,

that is all.

B.T.W. I love to ski powder, don't you? remember a few days ago? AHHHH. you know what I mean? powder baby, knee deep blower, fluffy.

I think LineDawg saw the white room. awesome day!!!

all in all, AWESOME season...............

1 - 20 of 31 Posts