Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Aire outcast 1300, which is the same boat as the superpuma but does not come with thwarts or a way to attach thwarts. I have a DRE frame with the works, but sometimes I would like to take it out with a friend and NOT deal with a frame. So, can we R2 this without thwarts? Will it taco on us or put stress on the boat?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
The
Thwarts on Aire boats attach to the floor
Lacing with cams if you buy some.

You could wrap a board in carpet and strap it across instead of buying thwarts to have a seat.

Unless you're running big stuff the taco aspect is likely not a concern

·
Registered
16 Posts
The boat should be fine, it's biggest stress will be the two people sliding everywhere in the boat. Lacking thwarts, you'll also be lacking your foot holds and a seat for one of your butt-cheeks.

I'd try being on one knee with one of my cheeks on the outer tube before I started investing time and energy into rigging makeshift thwarts. Especially if you are only doing shorter trips.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave - I looked up the thwarts, and I see now how they attach now, so ordering them is an option, but they are $228 each.

fishpyro - I was told that you are supposed to sit on the tubes not the thwarts, but what you say makes more sense from a twisted back stand point. I suppose if we really like it we can glue in some foot cups and/or make a thwart. Dave's idea would be super easy since I already have all the materials.

Thanks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
As far as sitting on the thwart vs. the tube - it will also depend on your height and the size of the tubes. When running my 10' NRS raft R2 style I straddle the tube in the middle of the boat, between the two thwarts. I don't use thwarts but I also don't slide around as I have my inner foot locked in between the floor and tube (possible foot entrapment) and at times I am kneeling on my inner knee. But I'm 6'3" tall and have the length to ride in that position. When sitting on a thwart I have to rotate my upper torso forward and outward to paddle and that position has a tendency to tire my lower back out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts