Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to make it easier on myself installing and removing thwarts for my AIRE 156D. What have you guys done? I was thinking of using 4 carabiners per thwart to make it easier on myself. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’ve always thought a quick release pin from my sailing gear would work. It’s a push pin with a small button. Look in Murray’s marine the button is tiny BUT it holds the mast up and keeps the traveler in place so a lot of tension and should work

·
Registered
194 Posts
Small loops of prussic cord attached to the floor lacing make easy-to-access attachment points for the thwart straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
346 Posts
Riverjunky, let us know how it works for you. I am thinking about doing the same thing for my super puma. I saw a photo a long time ago where someone used little caribeaners

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I like the Maravia knuckles.
Aire used a similar knuckle on their older Tribs, but it was nowhere as smooth/easy to attach as Maravia's. I also ripped one off with a handline/strap around the tube. The Trib fabric just isn't made for that kind of shear force.

The NRS ones are decent. RMR used similar batten attachments, but I've ripped one of those off as well.

Small loops of prussic cord attached to the floor lacing make easy-to-access attachment points for the thwart straps.

That's a GREAT idea!

A big part of what makes the existing Aire system "not quick" is having to thread the straps through the floor lacing down in the well. It's a 2-person job and best done with the boat on its side..but still time-intensive.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was looking to make it easier on myself installing and removing thwarts for my AIRE 156D. What have you guys done? I was thinking of using 4 carabiners per thwart to make it easier on myself. Any ideas? Thanks.

I was more driven by wanting to get the thwarts in the same spot than the time factor but the time is factor is a great bonus.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I laced 1" welded stainless o-rings into my floor lacing for the thwarts, and for a front and rear foot strap for paddling. It's faster to not have to run straps through the floor lacing, you don't have to count lacing crosses every time, and it avoids having soft on soft (strap on rope).

https://www.strapworks.com/Metal_O_Ring_p/mor.htm

I would have liked to have done this before I laced my floor. In the end I didn’t think about the labor to install the thwarts and I didn’t know where they would go anyway. If I ever unlace my floor I will probably replace the delta links with rings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts