Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what color is the water in the grand canyon in december? is it silty or more clear? anyone ever try fly fishing around that time of year? what do you throw? what do you catch?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,589 Posts
clear barring rain. i would say nymphing with little midges and scuds. unfortunately they shocked the hell out of the trout so the fishing has been shit once you get below lees ferry. i dont know when they stopped shocking or if they have, so more trout may have migrated back down. hopefully they gave up and it is sweet again. do some research before you go. you will catch chub, if anything, unless they havent shocked the last two years.

As a point of reference....in 02 i saw tons of trout everyday, caught them till the cows came home on anything and everything. they would swarm in the eddies if you dropped a crumb. in 08 i saw 3 trout. didnt catch a thing. gave up after three days and on day four a trip member broke my rod, boy would have i been pissed if it were 02. turns out i didnt care. never saw another trout and didnt stop looking til it rained and became mud on day 12 or 14. I dont understand what the hell good it will do. if they arent hoping to eradicate (no shocking above lees) isnt this a losing battle we have to continually pay for? not sure if its right, but i heard something like it cost us 1.25 per trout they kill. we want good trout fishing above lees and a native habitat below????? sorry chubs, we dammed it!! the whole thing gets me all fired up. i was so bummed after buying flies and licences in 08 and not one fish to catch after day 2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.