Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if you need a toilet and fire pan for this one? Thinking of doing a self-support overnight float and certainly don't have room for either in a kayak. I know they are such nazis at the westwater put-in so I wanted to check on this. any beta appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It's been many years, but I'm pretty sure we did it without either last time we were there. I'm not positive, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You don't need a permit - you DO need to leave no trace, and use a portable toilet and fire pan. Enjoy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
YEs, both are required. Nobody will check. However, if you do plan on going to the bathroom and or having a fire, you should bring these items. That area is close to a permit process due to use and litter. a wag bag and ammo can and trash lid will cost you a total of $15.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just did the run last weekend and found the campsites to be in really good shape because for the most part people are being conscientious and packing their shit and trash out. I agree with the last post, it really isn't difficult to find a way to pack your stuff out even with a kayak. Enjoy!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Puck said:
Anyone know if you need a toilet and fire pan for this one? Thinking of doing a self-support overnight float and certainly don't have room for either in a kayak. I know they are such nazis at the westwater put-in so I wanted to check on this. any beta appreciated. thanks.
No you can just poop wherever you want to and shit all over the beaches, thats what makes this run so beautiful! All the idiots POOP everywhere! You can also just build a fire wherever you want to and leave the black coals all over the beach, thereby adding to its beauty.

No seriously you shouldnt even have to ask. There are no overnight trips where it is still OK to poop in the sand. Even if the regulation dont say so you should know better.

Get a couple wag bags and an empty mayo jar and theres your shitter. If you cant run an overnight trip without a fire buy a stove.

·
Registered
132 Posts
PhilBob said:
Puck said:
No you can just poop wherever you want to and shit all over the beaches, thats what makes this run so beautiful! All the idiots POOP everywhere! You can also just build a fire wherever you want to and leave the black coals all over the beach, thereby adding to its beauty.

No seriously you shouldnt even have to ask. There are no overnight trips where it is still OK to poop in the sand. Even if the regulation dont say so you should know better.

Get a couple wag bags and an empty mayo jar and theres your shitter. If you cant run an overnight trip without a fire buy a stove.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
498 Posts
last memorial day the ranger stopped by our camp and asked to see both toliet and fire pan. he said they wanted you to have the pan even if you don't plan on liteing a fire. Just in case of emergemcy. Not to be too much of a butt head but I thought we were 20 years past asking such a question. Steve

·
Registered
371 Posts
so if you lay a bunch of saran wrap down is that a hot sandy carl?? is this method ok with the rangers??

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been down there a lot lately and have been checked at the put in almost every time by rangers. Then questioned at the take out about what we cooked on etc. That was when there was a fire ban but just have everything to be safe. We even put in at Fruita once and when we passed Loma they flagged us over and even told people to put on life jackets and checked for the groover and fire pan! Great float tho!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses. I understand people's fustrations with morons shitting on beaches and scattering beer cans. I share them. I always pack out, camp in established sites, etc. Just checking on these issues since some runs are really strict on things like requiring a fire pan even when you don't intend to light a fire.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Just an FYI-

If you have to have a fire rather than just a stove: Call up Raftin' Styles in Salt Lake and ask them to sell you a 4' by 4' square of welder's cloth for $40. It's folds down to nothing and is super light. You'll have to put about an inch of sand on top and pack that & your coals out, but it's still more packable than a pan. For those of you that have a firepan- that cloth makes it really easy to clean up the area around your pan the next morning.

http://raftinstyles.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts