Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team!
Im planning a trip on the White River just outside of Canal Flats BC. I know it will be pretty low but I was wondering if anyone had any idea how low? Would an August 1st launch date be doable for a 12’ raft from Thunder Creek to the Kootenay confluence? Any information on this area would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I live near the White and we have had near record snow pack this year and water levels are on there way down but still quite high. I will be on the White this weekend in a 15' raft, you will have no issues in a 12'. The regular put-in is near the first bridge over the White past White Swan Lake or if you are coming up the east side of the river from the confluence with the Kootenay it is just over the first bridge you see crossing the White. I have not been on the upper section this year but if you are not aware there is a challenging class IV rapid in that section called the S turn and there is generally more wood in the upper section.
From the regular put-in it is a nice 2 day run to the confluence or 3 days to Canal Flats on the Kootenay.
Enjoy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Update on the White river in B.C. About half way down the regular run, there is a large log that blocks the main channel. There is a secondary channel to the right at this location, but as the water drops this channel will dry up and a portage of about 150m will be required. Our group made it through easily this past weekend but I would think within a week getting a raft by this spot will not be pleasant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on the White river in B.C. About half way down the regular run, there is a large log that blocks the main channel. There is a secondary channel to the right at this location, but as the water drops this channel will dry up and a portage of about 150m will be required. Our group made it through easily this past weekend but I would think within a week getting a raft by this spot will not be pleasant.
Thanks for the info. Is this where the large log jam forms in between the two channels? River left bank has a low cliff with the main channel flowing between cliff and log jam and river right has a shallow channel that flows around the backside of the log jam island and back into the main channel? Is the log removable?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes that is the location, large eddy on river right just before the log jam. The log is quite large and jammed between the cliff on river left and close to the middle of the log jam. On July 30th it was completely out of the water, suspended about 12 to 18 inches above the water. It looked very sketchy to get it out of there. Best thought would be to line a boat out to the up river side, mid span, and undercut it with chain saw. Quite complex rope skills would be required and a good team. Perhaps it could be winched from the log jam side to drop the cliff end into the water but then all hell would break loose as the log pivoted down river and you will have also sent a 60 to 70 foot log into the narrow canyon down river of you where it may hang up in a worse place.
In my opinion it would be best to be prepared to portage around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes that is the location, large eddy on river right just before the log jam. The log is quite large and jammed between the cliff on river left and close to the middle of the log jam. On July 30th it was completely out of the water, suspended about 12 to 18 inches above the water. It looked very sketchy to get it out of there. Best thought would be to line a boat out to the up river side, mid span, and undercut it with chain saw. Quite complex rope skills would be required and a good team. Perhaps it could be winched from the log jam side to drop the cliff end into the water but then all hell would break loose as the log pivoted down river and you will have also sent a 60 to 70 foot log into the narrow canyon down river of you where it may hang up in a worse place.
In my opinion it would be best to be prepared to portage around.
We just got off yesterday (Aug 4th) and had to push our 12’ raft just a little bit at this section.
Water Sky Cloud Water resources Fluvial landforms of streams
Water Sky Water resources Cloud Tree

Here are what the logs looked like when we were down there.
Thank you, Michael! We ended up floating from the White Swan Bridge to Canal Flats in three days, per your beta, it was outstanding!

·
Registered
92 Posts
We just got off yesterday (Aug 4th) and had to push our 12’ raft just a little bit at this section. View attachment 80400 View attachment 80401
Here are what the logs looked like when we were down there.
Thank you, Michael! We ended up floating from the White Swan Bridge to Canal Flats in three days, per your beta, it was outstanding!
Your welcome, glad it worked out for you. At normal flows this is a wonderful run, technical, but nothing too demanding. I have run it in a canoe but the raft is a little more relaxing.
P.S. Don't tell anyone!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts